Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DHCP Settings keep resetting?

I've actually had this problem since Server 2 for Mountain Lion, and removing Server and /Library/Server would do the trick, but not with Server 3.1...

Any ideas? To be clear, every time I set the DHCP settings and enable the DHCP service, it will reset on reboot. Sometimes it will reset without a reboot of OS X and suddenly none of my devices can get on WiFi.

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Mar 20, 2014 11:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2014 7:12 PM

Launch Console.app from Applications > Utilities directory, open the view of all the logs on the left if it's not already open, and see if the DHCP server is logging errors when the startup is attempted.

Check your local DNS, too. Launch Terminal.app from Applications > Utilities and issue the following harmless diagnostic command:

sudo changeip -checkhostname

This command will either tell you no changes are required, or that there are DNS or network issues lurking. DNS issues cause all sorts of weird bugs, as can networking problems.

Also ensure the server is not using .local as its top-level domain.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 20, 2014 7:12 PM in response to james.spinella

Launch Console.app from Applications > Utilities directory, open the view of all the logs on the left if it's not already open, and see if the DHCP server is logging errors when the startup is attempted.

Check your local DNS, too. Launch Terminal.app from Applications > Utilities and issue the following harmless diagnostic command:

sudo changeip -checkhostname

This command will either tell you no changes are required, or that there are DNS or network issues lurking. DNS issues cause all sorts of weird bugs, as can networking problems.

Also ensure the server is not using .local as its top-level domain.

Mar 20, 2014 7:34 PM in response to MrHoffman

Aha!

3/20/14 10:31:47.243 PM servermgrd[37218]: servermgr_dhcp:bootp config:Error:Unable to read configuration file - error 2 (No such file or directory)

Terminal reports that the hostname is all good and matches up. Kind of looks like this ^ might be a problem, though.

This is interesting considering I would think nuking Server.app and /Library/Server, then reinstalling Server.app would quell something like this, shouldn't it replace this missing config file?

Thanks for your help.

DHCP Settings keep resetting?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.