Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AppleCare in Canada???

Hi,

I have a Macbook that is around a month old and I have been expeirencing the random shutdown problems.

I am a first time Mac Owner/User so I don't know to much about the AppleCare service. I'm thinking about sending it in for repairs but I don't know how.

From what I've read on these forums, most people just take it down to their local Apple store and let the store deal with it, but here in Vancouver Canada, there is no such Apple stores.

How do I get my Macbook repaired and how does the shipping work? Who pays for it?

Thanks in Advance!

Macbook Mac OS X (10.4.7) 2GHz 1.25GB RAM

Posted on Aug 15, 2006 2:44 PM

9 replies

Aug 15, 2006 2:53 PM in response to G2K

You need to call your applecare contact in Canada. Your laptop is covered for 1 year without a separate warranty plan and it is covered for 90 days for phone support. You should have something in your documentation on who to contact if you are experiencing problems. If they determine there is a problem with your macbook, Apple will send you out a prepaid box to ship it to them. They will cover all shipping expenses both ways.

I logged into the Canadian online Applestore. The give this as the toll free support number (which seems to be the same for the US) 1-800-275-2273.

Glor

Aug 15, 2006 5:18 PM in response to Glorfindeal

Does this mean that after 90 days and I call them, then I will be charged for phone support?

I've been reading alot of forums related to the random shutdown problem and it seems that Apple has not come up with a definite solution yet.

I don't want to have to send in my Macbook over and over again trying to get this problem fixed. I want to wait unitl there is a definite solution to this problem first before I send it in.

Aug 15, 2006 5:47 PM in response to G2K

If they determine your problem is software-related, you will be charged for phone support after 90 days. The random shutdown problem is obvoiusly hardware related so I don't think you have anything to worry about. Also, Apple does not do the mail-in service in Canada, you have to take the computer down to an authorised service centre to get it repaired. That's what I was told by Apple anyways.

Aug 15, 2006 5:48 PM in response to G2K

Hey there,

AppleCare should be able to give you the name of the closest authorized Apple dealer. They will also give you a work order number and start a case file for you. There should be a few in Vancouver. It doesn't have to be an Apple store, just an authorized apple dealer. I took mine into the store I bought mine at in London Ontario, (an independant apple dealer) and they are going to repair it. If they can't they will send it in for you.

Hope this helps.

Aug 15, 2006 10:04 PM in response to Jonas Hurtig

So I can just call Applecare to get a case number and then take it back to the place where I bought it? I bought it from a store called London Drugs. They sell Apple products along with everything else. Can I take it to other stores that sell Apple products or does it have to be an Authorized Apple dealer?

Aug 16, 2006 10:41 AM in response to G2K

I took in the box with power adapter, in case they need to send it out, its protected for shipping and in case for some reason the problem is the power adapter (which it most likely isn't), they have that too. If you still have the box and packaging, that is what I would recommend. If not I am sure they will have something to box it up with if they send it.

AppleCare in Canada???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.