Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to connect to AOL mail on my iMac.

I have been using my AOL account for years, two days ago it went off line on my iMac for no apparent reason.

To get online I am asked for my password. Despite inputting the password I cannot get online.

Dark forces are at work here I feel, is there anyone that could please help me?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 20, 2014 12:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2014 6:00 PM

Confirm that your password works on the AOL website web mail interface directly, as it's fairly common for AOL accounts to get hijacked. Then follow the Apple Troubleshooting document for problems with mail, and see if that identifies any issues with your configuration.

Remember too that there are two places for the password — there's a send or mail server path (the SMTP server) and related settings within mail, and a read and receive path (the POP or IMAP server), each with its own server and port and SSL/TLS setting (almost always enabled) and user and password settings. Both of these have to be correct for your particular account. The troubleshooting guide has some details on this.

BTW: I never enter a password into that dialog box. Barring an actual password change that I've requested with the mail server involved or a corruption within the local keychain or a mail server account that's been hacked and the password changed, that mail dialog box is unfortunately going to get me into trouble — dismiss that dialog box, and then figure out what the network or connectivity issue is.

The dialog tells that the problem might be the password, but — barring a requested change or a keychain corruption or a hacked mailserver account — that's seldom the case in my experience. Trying the original and maybe some other passwords repeatedly can then get me locked out of my account, too.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 20, 2014 6:00 PM in response to Gary 27

Confirm that your password works on the AOL website web mail interface directly, as it's fairly common for AOL accounts to get hijacked. Then follow the Apple Troubleshooting document for problems with mail, and see if that identifies any issues with your configuration.

Remember too that there are two places for the password — there's a send or mail server path (the SMTP server) and related settings within mail, and a read and receive path (the POP or IMAP server), each with its own server and port and SSL/TLS setting (almost always enabled) and user and password settings. Both of these have to be correct for your particular account. The troubleshooting guide has some details on this.

BTW: I never enter a password into that dialog box. Barring an actual password change that I've requested with the mail server involved or a corruption within the local keychain or a mail server account that's been hacked and the password changed, that mail dialog box is unfortunately going to get me into trouble — dismiss that dialog box, and then figure out what the network or connectivity issue is.

The dialog tells that the problem might be the password, but — barring a requested change or a keychain corruption or a hacked mailserver account — that's seldom the case in my experience. Trying the original and maybe some other passwords repeatedly can then get me locked out of my account, too.

Unable to connect to AOL mail on my iMac.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.