Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Since iOS 7.1, microphone and calls won't work. iPhone won't restart reliably - HELP PLEASE!!

Hi everyone-

So my iPhone 5 had been working perfectly on iOS 7.0. Then I heard all these amazing reviews about iOS 7.1, so I made the upgrade last week. DO NOT MAKE THAT MISTAKE!!

I have been having problems with FaceTime, Siri, and basically anything which relies on my microphone. When I make calls it's just complete silence on my end - no ring tone or anything. The person receiving the call will hear the phone ringing but they can't hear any sound from my side. On FaceTime, I can see and hear the other person. They can see me, but they can't hear me.

When I talk to Siri, there is no noise being registered by the system - the sound wave doesn't move at all and it keeps prompting me to say something!

So here's the kicker too: if I try to reset the iPhone it will go into a reboot cycle. I have tried to restore the phone in DFU mode - that helped for maybe half a day and then the microphone went back to not working. I am afraid to reset my phone because it might get stuck in that reboot loop and never turn on again!

Some things to mention:

1) Before someone says the microphone is broken.. I don't think that's the problem because rarely (after 20 Facetime tries or so), the calls will go through and everyone can hear me perfectly.

2) I have tried toggling noise reduction

3) I have tried toggling airplane mode and do not disturb

4) I have tried cleaning the microphones (all of them- front back and bottom)

5) Checked my Verizon account, no holds on that

6) Even if you can't help, thanks for reading. You've helped because I just need to vent. Lol.

Any suggestions? I really need to use the phone for - you know - phone calls!! PLEASE HELP!!

It seems like other people have been having problems with iOS 7.1 relating to the microphone but nothing seems to work for me.

Thanks,

Chris

iPhone 5, iOS 7.1

Posted on Mar 20, 2014 2:34 PM

15 replies

Mar 23, 2014 1:51 PM in response to heylookchris

Hey Chris,

turns out the iPhone 5 has TWO microphones - one that is used for voice calls and another that is used by Siri and certain other apps. The day after I installed 7.1 I took my phone to the Apple Store and since I was still within the year's warranty period they just gave me a new iPhone 5 straightaway, no questions asked. If you're outside your warranty period then I guess Apple have screwed up big time.

Hope that helps.

Tim

Mar 25, 2014 7:49 AM in response to eousventus

Ok, I have gathered a bunch of responses. Long story short: some people have been having some luck by tapping the waveform instead of the done button and suddenly it works. If this works, or a hard reset, or a restore, then that's great!

Unfortunately for me, in addition to the microphone not working, there was a problem of getting stuck in an endless reboot cycle. Basically the phone would cycle through black, logo, black, logo, gray, black. This occured even after a hard reset, complete phone restore, and a firmware update. I tried this all myself at home. Then I took my phone to the Genius Bar and they did the exact same thing. No luck. Phone wouldn't turn on. Oh, I should mention that as soon as one guy heard about my mic problem he straightaway offered me a new phone, but then discovered I am out of my one-year warranty. The lack of follow-up questions before that offer made me a little uneasy. So I'm guessing there's been a bunch of people with this problem. Anyways, they still blamed this on a hardware problem. And attributed the microphone to the same thing. Like everyone else is saying, it seems a little coincidental. (I asked them if I could revert back to iOS 7.0 or even iOS 6 because I never have had that problem). They said no.

For me, I am past my one-year hardware warranty. So I am screwed. Not a happy camper, but good luck to everyone else!

Mar 26, 2014 2:54 PM in response to dantyo

Dantyo - Unfortunately I do not know of a way to do that. They definitely won't let you do it in the store. Maybe if you know someone who has a version of iOS 7.0 on their computer you could restore iOS to your phone. But then from there idk how you'd get your own contacts and stuff from there (as soon as you plug it in it won't let you go into recovery mode until you update your software). If you think of a good way please make sure to post it I'm sure it would help other people in the same boat as us. Good luck!

Mar 31, 2014 11:52 AM in response to iBrokenSurpriseSurprise

iBrokenSurpriseSurprise - I hate to be the one to tell you this, but we're pretty much screwed lol. I'm somewhat close to the end of my contract when I am able to upgrade, so I'm just going to scrape by.. for now I am just using an iPad to do Facetime and someone told me there's a feature for VoIP built into FaceTime. If not, I'm just going to use Skype. Good luck, let me know if you find anything!

Apr 2, 2014 11:53 AM in response to Griffen.G

Griffen.G - I'm pretty sure you can't easily change the sensitivity of the microphone unfortunately, but this off the cuff, there's probably ways to do it.

I think in all of our situations the hardware was damaged before, but the old iOS somehow managed to mask the problem. It is very unusual to hear you have the problem in your iPad because in general I think that iPhones get way more wear-and-tear.

I have no idea how to get Apple to respond. Honestly, I think we're screwed. Even if they have hundreds of people clammoring about an issue they do things at their own pace (which is never).

If you do manage to find a solution or some kind of patch, please let us know!! I'm sure it would help at least a few people - this post has over 1000 views!

Apr 9, 2014 11:03 AM in response to heylookchris

maybe I was crazy enough, me n my friend bought 2 iphone 5 by random in different store. lucky us, we got ios 6 installed. so we're open the box,checking all features (make sure everything is fine), register n updating the ios to 7.1.

result?

the one which i bought there's only an issue, no ringtones! but fixed by switch button near volume button, and the other got "our problems here-no sound during calls"!

lucky me,it's still covered by guarantee n i got replaced it from the store.

conclusion? nah you already know

so,we just hope and pray, apple will be launch new update to fix our problem

Apr 16, 2014 9:45 AM in response to heylookchris

Today using the hands free with my friend he told me he couldn't ear me well, with a lot of noise, and I tought it was some network problem but after a few tests I realized that something was wrong with my iPhone 5 (again...)

I openned the voice memo app, and it worked fine. I tried with SIRI and SIRI does not work. I only see the waves jumping like I was talking but she can't ear anything. I did another hand free test and, again, not working.

So I tought immediatly it was something with the hardware. So I did my last test, before sending my phone to warranty AGAIN (here in my country, TMN Portugal Carrier have the worst support ever...) and did a factory reset and voi la. Everything worked perfectly.

So, I did another reset and restored the previous backup and the problem came again... OH MY GOD.

I can't believe that I need to manual install everything again to have my phone working fine. I did this 5 times because of a battery issue and now this! WHAT THE F.... IS WRONG WITH APPLE ?? !!

A so called "high end" device needs a factory reset almost every month to work properly? Seriously?

EDIT: I did a test with "Google Now app" and it worked perfectly. So again, this seems to be a software problem, iOS7.1 related.

May 14, 2014 8:51 AM in response to heylookchris

I also have an iPhone 5 (16GB Black A1429) on iOS 7.1.1 that can't make phone calls.

The spekaer and microphone are both fine- voice recorder and Siri both work.

I can't hear the caller and the caller can't hear me. Same with speakerphone, wired headset, and bluetooth headset.

I can send and recieve SMS just fine.

The front camera doesn't work, and I can't see the home or office WiFi network.

Could this be a problem with iOS 7.1.1?

And it seems that there is no method to downgrade iOS, say to iOS 7.0.6.

Or is there?

Anyway, I hope that my phone is able to make calls after the next iOS update.

Until then, I'll use my iPhone 5 as a 4" iPad.

🙂

Jun 25, 2014 2:00 AM in response to heylookchris

I am also having these problems with my iPhone 5. Everything on my phone works fine.... Except for the main function of the phone, calling. I'm experiencing what you described during calls: not hearing anything and the person on the other side not hearing me. I don't think anything is wrong with the mic or the speakers. They both work fine on other features of the phone. I can communicate to Siri. I can listen to music, watch videos, etc. I can even skype without any problems. So why can't I make a call? After all making calls is the most important reason to even owning a phone. I know for a fact that my phone is not damaged because I don't really drop it. What's even furthermore frustrating is that I went out and bought a otter box(not cheap) as soon as I got my phone to ensure it wouldn't get damaged. But what do you know, it stopped working due to unknown causes.

Also, this problem didn't occur when I updated it, I just randomly happened one day and hasn't worked since. I might be past my warrantee also which is really upsetting considering this phone wasn't cheap. If I go into a verizon store or an apple store and they can't fix this for me, then I will get a new phone that is not Apple. I'm extremely frustrated.

I have read tons of similar stories about people who are also having this problem. If this is a problem that many iPhone owners are having then I really hope apple is doing something to fix it. Because so far it seems like their priorities are focused on making the phone look prettier instead of making it worn better. I'm an angry customer Apple! Please help me.

Jul 8, 2014 7:49 PM in response to Community User

Ok, after fannying around fruitlessly searching endless forums and staring intently at my iPhone for the past 4 hours hoping for inspiration... I do believe I have a fix for this!!

1. Sign out of Skype on your iPhone/iPad - shut the app down completely.

2. Click on the Skype app button - WAIT!!! THIS IS THE IMPORTANT BIT!

The login page gave me the option of using my 'SKYPE NAME' (that I ALWAYS use), but I noticed that directly underneath that box it also gave me the option of opening with my 'MICROSOFT ACCOUNT' - which I have never used for Skype, so have always ignored;) (Nb: IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A MICROSOFT ACCOUNT GO GET ONE,! YOU WILL THANK ME;)

3. Click on 'MICROSOFT ACCOUNT' box option, NOT Skype Name

4. Enter Microsoft email and password - Skype should open

5. Skip the annoying intro video (;) BUT KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN AS YOU SHOULD NEXT GET THE POP UP SAYING SKYPE NEEDS TO ACCESS YOUR MICROPHONE TO WORK... THIS IS THE IMPORTANT BIT... ABSOLUTELY ENSURE YOU ALLOW THIS.. I THINK IT IS YES/OK BUTTON - DO NOT ACCIDENTALLY PRESS THE 'LATER' BUTTON! (I THINK THAT IS THE ISSUE WITH IOS 7 - YOU ONLY GET ONE CHANCE TO SAY YES!!! )

6. Skype will load up and you SHOULD be able to now make calls!!

7. I then logged out of Skype and logged back in using my usual Skype name and mine worked! For the first time since the **** IOS 7 upgrade!

Hoorah!

(If you then check the 'Privacy>Microphone you should see Skype in there!! )

I hope this helps you (if you do not have a Microsoft Account I suggest you get one, becasue it definitely is a work around and resolves the issue!)

NIki

Since iOS 7.1, microphone and calls won't work. iPhone won't restart reliably - HELP PLEASE!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.