Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't ship IPads via air

I have spent hours(4 plus hours today), trying to figure out the MSDS for the iPad battery. Since 1/1/13 all devices with lithium ion poly batteries require a MSDS if you are packing more then 50 watt hours per case. This works out to two iPads per boxes. When your shipping 30 or more iPads each time, becomes a major headache and huge added costs.

The reason being that lithium ion batteries are linked to fires on planes under pressure ie the UPS plane that crashed in Alabama a short while ago. Apple claims that since their product doesn't emit hazardous materials, they don't have to provide a MSDS. Majorly wrong statement. They are missing the point, that this is required for ALL lithium ion batteries.

I(my company) have over 175 iPads for our clients to use( we have proprietary apps for our iPads), our clients are world wide, which means I need a MSDS or we are going to have to get rid of all our apple products for windows $#~£, which by the way I can get a MSDS from their websites. Anyone know where I can get a MSDS for the iPad. Or is apple that paranoid that they are going to start to lose global companies.

iPad 2

Posted on Mar 20, 2014 2:27 PM

3 replies

Mar 20, 2014 2:35 PM in response to Jtw3303

By the way before anyone from apple says I don't need a MSDS to ship iPads. Please go to UPS, FEDEX, DHL or any other shipping inc and you will find that any and ALL lithium ion batteries (poly or not) have to have a MSDS to ship via air. This is a TSA requirement which I have spend 2 hours today to find a way out to avoid the huge fines and possibly killing many people. This is how I found out about the watt hours maximums per case to avoid a MSDS.

Jan 20, 2015 9:26 PM in response to Jtw3303

@jtw3303 - Did you end up finding any resolution for your MSDS? I'm having a similar issue. I've seen a few posts with the same issue and most have no resolution.

I tried calling but they couldn't assist. I asked that they send me an email to advise that they do not have MSDS and believe it or not, while they told me on the phone that they do not have a MSDS, they wouldn't put it in writing to me.

Can't ship IPads via air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.