Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Partitioning Internal Hard Drive between Mac and Windows

So I receently ordered a new MacBook to replace my old PC and my old Mac. With 2 GB of Video Ram (With the Nvidia 750M), I was hoping to be able to run my Steam Games decently (I understand that a Mac isn't going to run on max graphics or anything, but I figure it will do alright) using Boot Camp.

My question is how would you guys recommend partitioning the 1 TB internal drive? I was hoping for a Mac and a PC System Partition with the majority of the storage space left as "shared" between them (I use Paragon NTFS for Mac, and MacDrive for PC, so I'm not sure what format would be most stable for the shared storage). What do you guys recommend?

Posted on Mar 20, 2014 3:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2014 8:27 PM

since it reads like you'll want to game, i'd put more storage for win so if your shared plan doesn't work out well, you still have raw, native space in Win for all your games

6 replies

Mar 21, 2014 10:51 AM in response to Alper Ozturk

Well, let me start by saying that with the default Boot Camp tools, you probably won't be able to setup more than the 2 OS partitions on the internal drive of your notebook. Not that it can't be done with other tools, but it is not a quick and easy setup to do, so if you are going to undertake it, please be prepared for issues, and do it from the beginning. There is a decent thread on this forum about "repairing after you change your partitions" which has plenty of information about the problems you will be facing and how to work around most of them.

Having said that, when I was using Boot Camp on my MBP with a 750GB drive, I gave 500GB to MacOS, and 250GB to Windows 7. I also used Paragon's NTFS for MacOS driver, and Paragon's HFS+ for Windows driver (after having use MacDrive for several years). This combination allowed both OSes full access to the entire 750GB drive, and I put my Thunderbird and FireFox profiles on the MacOS partition, but could access them from either OS that was booted. That solution worked great for me for years (until I upgraded my MBP and opted to eliminate Boot Camp and only run VMs for Windows).

With the proper drivers, either OS would be able to utilize your external drives, but keep in mind there are still some Mac utilities/apps which will only work with an HFS+ formatted partition, just like there are some Windows programs that do the same with NTFS. Personally I found that I would have to "share" my external drives with other Windows users more than Mac users, so I formatted most of mine NTFS, and just took the minor performance hit when accessing them under MacOS.

Partitioning Internal Hard Drive between Mac and Windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.