Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I access characters within the repertoire of a particular font?

I'm in the Font Book, looking at Repertoire, seeing several versions of a capital A. Can't figure out how to access them in my Pages doc?

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Mar 20, 2014 2:32 PM

6 replies

Mar 21, 2014 6:52 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

Thanks Peter, That's how it used to work.

I have Pages '09, Mac OS Lion 10.7.5.

i.e. I used to use Special characters to find/access all possibilities within Zapfino.

Now I can see four variations on an "A" through Font Book > Repertoire.

Don't have any way to access them.

Pages>Special Characters shows me all "A"' in assorted fonts, only one in Zapfino.

Pages still plugs in assorted variations on characters as I type, I just can't select them myself.

I've looked for possible solutions, still searching. Any help is appreciated.

Mar 21, 2014 7:08 AM in response to SueZam

Have found a partial answer for characters with U+ code. However, some characters are noted as "Glyph _" rather than "U+" How do I get to them?

t

Tom Gewecke Scottsdale, AZ

Navarro Parker - wrote:

Is there no way to get the sysem to type out an letter based on the U+2708 code?

Yes. Go to system preferences/language & text/input sources and check the box for Unicode Hex. Also check the box for Show Input Menu in Menu Bar. Then select Unicode Hex from the "flag" menu at the top right of the finder. The hold down the option/alt key and type 2708. ✈

Mar 21, 2014 7:52 AM in response to SueZam

SueZam wrote:

Have found a partial answer for characters with U+ code. However, some characters are noted as "Glyph _" rather than "U+" How do I get to them?

In Character Viewer (Edit > Special Characters), if you are running 10.6 and lower, you can set View = Glyph and try to insert, drag/drop, or double click on your special glyph. Whether it will work depends on the app.

In 10.7 or higher, you can do Format > Font > Show Fonts and click on the gear wheel at the bottom left and then on the Typography panel. Select the character in your text and see if you can change it using, for example, one of the options under Glyph Variants. Whether it will work depends on the app.

How can I access characters within the repertoire of a particular font?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.