Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Old eMac Help? No OS 9

Thanks to ANYONE taking the time to answer this!

I have an OLD eMac Here are the specs:

eMac Model NO: A1002 EMC No.:1955

100V-120VAC, 3.5A, 50-60Hz

Mac OS X Version 10.3 Processor 1GHz PowerPC G4 Memory: 384MB

Serial Number: G8*******PPA

32-Bit Color

Speed: 400MB/Sec

I would like this old computer to be used by young children in a toy room - no internet just games. However, I went to install a few old cheap games that are compatible but require "classic os 9" to run.

There is NO "folder" or something for this. I assume the computer just doesn't have classic option. What can I do about this?

I am not experienced with mac, please talk to me like I am a moron. Thanks so much for your time in advance. I have 4 very anxious preschoolers! 🙂 PS - it will not update as it's so old.

<Personal Information Edited by Host>

Posted on Mar 20, 2014 3:02 PM

3 replies

Mar 20, 2014 3:20 PM in response to Jeniferleetroska

Hello Jenifer,

I think all eMacs required a special OS9 Install Disc, & there were 2 eMac/1.0 GHZ, one could boot OS9 or OSX, the other could only boot OSX & run OS9 under emulation in "Classic".

Many games do not work in "Classic" & need native OS9 booting.

You need the original Install Discs, or for "Classic" to work, copy a working install of OS9/s "System Folder" to the eMac, not to be confused with OSX's folder called "System". 🙂

Jun 16, 2014 1:53 PM in response to Jeniferleetroska

I think I might be able to help you. I too have an old eMac which I spent many years trying to figure out how to get classic OS 9 on it, and finally I figured it out. By the way, I've found Classic will work with most older games.

I just have a few questions:

1 When you double-click on an old game to install it, what happens? Does a message pop up?

2 Do you have any of the old apple-CDs that came with the computer?

3 What version is the computer? You can see this by clicking the apple symbol at the top left, then click "about this mac".

This information will tell whether or not this computer has hope for the older OS 9 games.

Regards,

Old eMac Help? No OS 9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.