Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Desktop on g5 blinks then reopens closed windows

I have a G5 desktop 2.5 aircooled. I get a "blink" which is the best way to describe what the finder is doing. It keeps reopening windows I have closed.

A coupIe of anamalys

thought it might be the battery as I was getting a message at startup that the time was mis set. Yet when I put a meter on the battery, I'm getting 3.6x volts. When it goes to sleep mode the fan will go into a faster whine and not come out of sleep.

Copying from Firewire drives gives me balky drive but same drive on USB works...

Any ideas?

Thanks

Enio

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3), 2.66 dual core

Posted on Mar 20, 2014 3:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2014 3:26 PM

Hi Enio,

First, Safe Boot , (holding Shift key down at bootup), use Disk Utility from there to Repair Permissions, test if things work OK in Safe Mode.

Then move these files to the Desktop for now...

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.desktop.plist

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.recentitems.plist

Reboot & test.

PS. Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive.

Any change?

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 20, 2014 3:26 PM in response to Enio Cordoba

Hi Enio,

First, Safe Boot , (holding Shift key down at bootup), use Disk Utility from there to Repair Permissions, test if things work OK in Safe Mode.

Then move these files to the Desktop for now...

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.desktop.plist

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.recentitems.plist

Reboot & test.

PS. Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive.

Any change?

Desktop on g5 blinks then reopens closed windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.