Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't resize partition?

I have been following the steps highlighted in the advanced section, simply because not every Mac I will restore to has a 750gb hard drive.

Everything moves along swimmingly until the instructions ask to resize the image you just generated (Step 6). I receive an error stating that "Volume format does not support resizing." But I have no idea why because the volume format is listed as JHFS+. Any ideas as to why I cannot resize it??

The error occurs on both Mavericks and Mountain Lion, and I've attempted to create the image multiple times. Same result every time.

In case Apple doesn't link to the article, it is here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5990

Posted on Mar 20, 2014 3:38 PM

4 replies

Mar 20, 2014 4:12 PM in response to Ragnar-Kon

Terminal, if that helps:

MrMac:Desktop user$ sudo hdiutil create -srcFolder /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD -size 25g -format UDRW -layout GPTSPUD tempimage

Password:

................................................................................ .................................................

created: /Users/user/Desktop/tempimage.dmg

MrMac:Desktop user$ hdid tempimage.dmg

/dev/disk3 GUID_partition_scheme

/dev/disk3s1 EFI

/dev/disk3s2 Apple_HFS /Volumes/Macintosh HD 1

MrMac:Desktop user$ diskutil resizeVolume disk3s2 24g JHFS+ Anything 1m

Volume format does not support resizing

Midgard:Desktop ragnarkon$ diskutil list

/dev/disk0

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *250.1 GB disk0

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS Mac OS X 249.2 GB disk0s2

3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3

/dev/disk1

0: GUID_partition_scheme *320.1 GB disk1

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1

2: Apple_HFS MacImages 300.1 GB disk1s2

3: Apple_HFS Mac OS X Install ESD 10.0 GB disk1s3

4: Apple_HFS Install OS X Mavericks 9.4 GB disk1s4

/dev/disk2

0: GUID_partition_scheme *750.2 GB disk2

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk2s1

2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 749.2 GB disk2s2

3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk2s3

/dev/disk3

0: GUID_partition_scheme *26.8 GB disk3

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk3s1

2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 26.5 GB disk3s2

Jul 14, 2015 11:56 AM in response to Ragnar-Kon

Not sure if you've figured out the answer to your question. Its been more than a year 😀

It seems that you were looking to clone the Recovery partition into the image made. I have been successful in this when connecting a second Apple machine (in my case a mac mini) with a Thunderbolt cable and using it as an external hard drive. The advance steps worked with no issues.

I only came across issues when using the local machine with multiple partitions. Which seems to be your case. I've had issues with the first step, creating the image and just now resizing the volume. I feel your concerns.

One workaround would be to go ahead and continue the steps and skipping the resize and cloning of the recovery partition steps.

Once the image is ready, install it to the machine or hard drive. Doing this will leave the hard drive with no recovery partition. IMO unless your really need it, its fine to not have it. But if you want it, the following steps could be of use.

The following steps assumes you have 2 machines connected through either Thunderbolt or firewire OR you have the hard drive connected through a USB adapter (or something equivalent) to the machine with the source Recovery Partition.

After installing the image you will need to split the OS partition.

Either using Disk Utility or using terminal: diskutil splitPartition command. I have used the Disk Utility. In my case the application allows a partition to be a minimum of 1GB. Which is fine.

After splitting the OS partition now you want to clone the Recovery partition to the newly made partition. Use diskutil list to see in what /dev/*identifier* the appropriate partitions are in. You will need to unmount the target /dev/ if you get any errors.

asr restoreexact --source /dev/*Original Recovery* --target /dev/*New Partition* --erase

The above command should do the trick. You may need to use sudo in the beginning.

Once the cloning is finished, we want to change the partition type. From Apple_HFS to Apple_Boot

asr adjust -target /dev/*Newly clone Recovery* -settype Apple_Boot

That should be all to it. Hopefully this helps you out or someone else that may need a workaround.

Sources:

http://blog.magnusviri.com/apple-boot-partition.html

Jul 20, 2015 2:22 PM in response to Spinager

I may have found the fix to the issue today, which will allow you to complete the Advance steps laid out by Apple.

In my case, checking the ownership of the tempimage showed that it belonged to root. (ls -lrta) in the same directory as the tempimage.

I went ahead and changed it to the current logged username: sudo chown username tempimage.dmg

Doing so allowed me to resize the volume.

Can't resize partition?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.