Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I put tunes on my shuffle

I have a shuffle & don't know how to put tunes on it from my laptop

iPod shuffle

Posted on Mar 20, 2014 6:56 PM

1 reply

Mar 21, 2014 1:50 AM in response to m.macarthur

You need to install iTunes. If it's not already installed, you can download the latest version here

https://www.apple.com/itunes/

This document describes the methods for adding content to a shuffle

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1719

It also shows the four shuffle types. If it's the current 4th gen (or 3rd gen) shuffle, here is one convenient way to use automatic syncing in iTunes to manage content on a shuffle.

If the iTunes sidebar (along left side of window) is not visible, from the menu bar, under View, select Show Sidebar. When connected, the shuffle appears in the sidebar, under DEVICES. Select the shuffle there. To the right, the shuffle's Summary screen is shown. Toward the top, where it says Summary, click Music to the right of Summary. This Music screen is where you tell iTunes how to sync songs to the shuffle.

Before you set up that Music screen, create a new playlist in your iTunes library, and put all of the songs you want on the shuffle on that playlist. (Or you can use an existing playlist.) Back on the shuffle's Music screen in iTunes, check the checkbox for Sync Music. Choose the option to sync Selected playlists, artists, albums, and genres. Below that, find that playlist under Playlists and select (checkmark) it. You can select other items on those lists if desired.

When you click Apply, the songs in your selection(s) sync to the shuffle. Going forward, to update the shuffle's songs, just update that playlist in your iTunes library (add/remove songs). The shuffle does not need to be connected. The next time you connect the shuffle (or click Sync if already connected), iTunes automatically updates the shuffle with the same changes.

You can also use the Manually manage music method. If you want more info about that, or your shuffle is an older 1st or 2nd gen model (which works differently) you can post back.

how do I put tunes on my shuffle

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.