Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting an older version of an app on an iPod?

I really want to download Tumblr on my 4th generation iPod, but when I try to, it says it is only supported by iOS 7. Because I have a 4th generation, I can't get the iOS 7 operating system. I have a friend with a 3rd generation iPod that has the Tumblr app, and he said that when he tried to download it, it prompted him and said he could download an older version. This never happens for me. Every time I try to download it, it only says that it isn't supported by iOS 7. I looked this up and saw that you have to go to your purchases tab, and if I am correct, you can access it by going to your updates tab in the app store. When I open the purchased tab, nothing appears. It's totally blank.

How do I get an older version of Tumblr!?

iPod touch, iOS 6.1.5

Posted on Mar 20, 2014 7:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2014 7:22 PM

Go on iTunes on your computer or onto a device with iOS 7 and download the app. This will put it in your purchase history. (Note: Make sure you are signed into the same Apple ID)

Then, go back to your iPod that does not have iOS 7 and go to App Store > Updates > Purchased and you will see the app listed. Tap the cloud icon and you will be prompted to download the version that is compatible with your iPod.

This will solve your problem.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 20, 2014 7:22 PM in response to GarrettMHaines

Go on iTunes on your computer or onto a device with iOS 7 and download the app. This will put it in your purchase history. (Note: Make sure you are signed into the same Apple ID)

Then, go back to your iPod that does not have iOS 7 and go to App Store > Updates > Purchased and you will see the app listed. Tap the cloud icon and you will be prompted to download the version that is compatible with your iPod.

This will solve your problem.

Mar 21, 2014 2:12 AM in response to GarrettMHaines

Starting when iOS 7 was released, Apple now allows downloading the last compatible version of some apps (iOS 4.2.1 and later only)

App Store: Downloading Older Versions of Apps on iOS - Apple Club

App Store: Install the latest compatible version of an app

You first have to download the non-compatible version on your computer. Then when you try to purchase the version on your iPod you will be offered a compatible version if one exists.

Getting an older version of an app on an iPod?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.