Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pop up for Free Upgrade to Mavericks

Hi. This is my first post so excuse me if I'm breaking any rules or ettiquette. I was working when I got an unprompted pop up from an application I've never seen before called Noticeboard that says "Upgrade to Mavericks Upgrade your Mac to the latest version of OS X for free." with the options "Now Now" and "Details". Since it happened rather suddenly and I don't recognize the application I just wanted to be sure that this isn't some kind of scam. I haven't touched the window other than to move it out of the way so I could type up this message. Thanks in advance for any help!

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Mar 20, 2014 9:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2014 9:37 PM

you can feel free to search for "Mavericks" in the app store and dismiss that box. It is a free OS X upgrade.

55 replies

Mar 28, 2014 9:20 AM in response to Allan Jones

It is certainly not a scam. Apple prompts customers to upgrade to Mavericks (because, after all, it's free -- why wouldn't anyone want to upgrade?).

I don't want to update to Mavericks on some machines, and I'd like to know how to disable this 'feature'. I was excited when I saw shld42thewheel's post about a checkbox in the App Store. Unfortunately, I couldn't find it.

Mar 28, 2014 10:34 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Contrary to Grant Bennet-Adler's and Allan Jones' opinions, the popup is NOT a scam. It is the result of a "new feature" that was installed by Apple with the Mac App Store Update Version 1.0. If you have installed this update, go to your primary hard drive's

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CommerceKit.framework/Versions/A/Resources/

folder and you will find a recently installed Noticeboard.app.

See these threads for further info:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5996547

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6037864

Hope this helps.

Pop up for Free Upgrade to Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.