Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will using Boot Camp alter the performance of OSX?

I just got my MacBook Pro 13" with Retina Display today. There are a few games I would like to install through Windows using Boot Camp, but I am wondering if I will still be able to use OSX on my Mac just like it is right now afterwards. I got my Mac for Logic Pro, so I will definitely be using OSX more than Windows. But every now and then I would like to play my games on Windows, unless it will change the performance of my Mac. I don't really know how Boot Camp works, and I don't want to mess up the Mac I just got.

If I install Windows through Boot Camp, will I still be able to use OSX without any loss in performance? Or is it not worth it, considering its just a few games? Also, would it be a good idea to get an external hard drive for it?

Thanks much!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), 16 GB RAM, 2.9 GH i7

Posted on Mar 20, 2014 10:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2014 4:18 AM

Boot Camp and OS X can't both be running at the same time, there is no change in performance for either of them when the other one is running.

You will have less disk space left in OS X after you use Boot Camp to create a Windows partition.

Make a full backup of your Mac and read the Boot Camp directions carefully before you start.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 21, 2014 4:18 AM in response to RizeoftheFallen

Boot Camp and OS X can't both be running at the same time, there is no change in performance for either of them when the other one is running.

You will have less disk space left in OS X after you use Boot Camp to create a Windows partition.

Make a full backup of your Mac and read the Boot Camp directions carefully before you start.

Will using Boot Camp alter the performance of OSX?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.