Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X Server 3.1 - Profile Manager Variables

Hello

After updating to OS X Server 3.1 i can no longer push profiles that contain variables (short_name or email) to iPhones. If i remove the variables from the profile it applies without any issue

Has anybody else had this issue ?

Thanks

Posted on Mar 20, 2014 11:34 PM

11 replies

Mar 21, 2014 3:37 PM in response to NHG_it1

This is very likely a side-effect of the issue in Profile Manager being discussed in https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5471963?start=60&tstart=0. As mentioned there, you should try these commands to stop that problem and I suspect your profiles will then get pushed.

sudo psql -U _devicemgr -d devicemgr_v2m0 -h /Library/Server/ProfileManager/Config/var/PostgreSQL -c "UPDATE devices SET last_update_info_time = dm_current_timestamp() + '1 month'"

sudo psql -U _devicemgr -d devicemgr_v2m0 -h /Library/Server/ProfileManager/Config/var/PostgreSQL -c "ALTER TABLE devices ALTER COLUMN last_update_info_time SET DEFAULT dm_current_timestamp() + '1 month'"

Please let me know if this helps.

Thanks.

Mar 21, 2014 3:39 PM in response to NHG_it1

Call Apple and get it esclated. Seriously. They rarely look here, and they have become very lax with their testing.

I've personally reported 3 (and in my opinion pretty obvious had it been tested) bugs directly to them. One of them when they broke the shortname payload variable for VPN settings somewhere around the 3.0.2 update.

I'm fortunate enough that our 2 server are under AppleCare and, while they usually say software issues for client OS aren't covered, they DO seem interested in server software issues and usually you'll get esclated to the Enterprise Service Desk.

Apr 21, 2015 12:52 PM in response to mscott_mdm

Please note, if you applied the "ALTER TABLE" workaround I mentioned in this thread, you will need to apply the workaround I posted in Server 4.1 Profile Manager Migration Failed before you can successfully upgrade to Server 4.1. I would recommend doing this before you install Server 4.1 if you haven't already.

sudo psql -U _devicemgr -d devicemgr_v2m0 -h /Library/Server/ProfileManager/Config/var/PostgreSQL -c "ALTER TABLE mdm_targets ALTER COLUMN last_update_info_time SET DEFAULT 'epoch'"

OS X Server 3.1 - Profile Manager Variables

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.