Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trust this Computer - iPad/iMac Message Keeps Popping Up - HELP???

I see plenty of reported issueson this subject, but none that fix my problem.

iMac has latest OSX and iTunes versions, iPad is updated to iOS 7.1. I even tried reinsatalling OSX (thought I'd got away from reinstalls when I dropped Windows!!!).

But I still get bing, bing, bing, bing, bing ... and the "Trust this Computer" pop-up every second until I unplug the (original Apple) USB cord

Any suggestions how to get around this annoying problem - which may have started after iOS 7.1 upgrade.

Thanks!

iPad, iOS 7.1, OSX Mavericks

Posted on Mar 21, 2014 5:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2014 11:46 AM

Hello there TedJ,

It sounds like your phone keeps connecting and disconnecting over and over until you unplug your iPhone from the computer. I recommend the troubleshooting in the following article named:

iOS: Troubleshooting USB-related alerts when syncing

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5254?viewlocale=en_US

Try the following steps to check the connection between your device or computer. You might need to do only one of these steps to resolve the issue, so test your connection after each step.

1. See if the cable connection at the device or computer has come loose or unplugged.
    Unplug the cable you're using to connect your iOS device from the USB port on your computer, and then reconnect it. Then unplug it from your iOS device, and reconnect it.
  2. Remove any third-party battery packs or cases from the device and ensure that the USB cable is connected directly to the port on the device.
  3. If your Lightning or 30-pin cable is connected to a keyboard, display or USB hub, try plugging it directly into a USB port on the computer instead.
  4. Close any virtualization apps (such as Parallels or VMWare).
    These apps may interfere with your computer's ability to communicate over USB if they aren't properly configured, or up to date. If this resolves the issue, contact the developer of the app to see if an update is available.
  5. Restart your computer.
  6. Restart your iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch.
  7. If you're using an accessory or third-party cable to connect your device, try using an Apple cable with the device instead.
  8. Update to the latest version of iTunes if you have not already.
  9. Disconnect other USB devices from your computer, except for your keyboard and mouse. Then, reconnect your iOS device. If the issue is resolved, reconnect the other USB devices one at a time. Make sure your iOS device is still recognized by the computer after adding back each device.

If one of these steps resolves the issue, but it comes back later, make sure you haven't changed how the device is connected. For example, check to see if you plugged the device into a specific accessory, or used a specific cable that reintroduced the issue.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Regards,

Sterling

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 23, 2014 11:46 AM in response to TedJ

Hello there TedJ,

It sounds like your phone keeps connecting and disconnecting over and over until you unplug your iPhone from the computer. I recommend the troubleshooting in the following article named:

iOS: Troubleshooting USB-related alerts when syncing

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5254?viewlocale=en_US

Try the following steps to check the connection between your device or computer. You might need to do only one of these steps to resolve the issue, so test your connection after each step.

1. See if the cable connection at the device or computer has come loose or unplugged.
    Unplug the cable you're using to connect your iOS device from the USB port on your computer, and then reconnect it. Then unplug it from your iOS device, and reconnect it.
  2. Remove any third-party battery packs or cases from the device and ensure that the USB cable is connected directly to the port on the device.
  3. If your Lightning or 30-pin cable is connected to a keyboard, display or USB hub, try plugging it directly into a USB port on the computer instead.
  4. Close any virtualization apps (such as Parallels or VMWare).
    These apps may interfere with your computer's ability to communicate over USB if they aren't properly configured, or up to date. If this resolves the issue, contact the developer of the app to see if an update is available.
  5. Restart your computer.
  6. Restart your iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch.
  7. If you're using an accessory or third-party cable to connect your device, try using an Apple cable with the device instead.
  8. Update to the latest version of iTunes if you have not already.
  9. Disconnect other USB devices from your computer, except for your keyboard and mouse. Then, reconnect your iOS device. If the issue is resolved, reconnect the other USB devices one at a time. Make sure your iOS device is still recognized by the computer after adding back each device.

If one of these steps resolves the issue, but it comes back later, make sure you haven't changed how the device is connected. For example, check to see if you plugged the device into a specific accessory, or used a specific cable that reintroduced the issue.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Regards,

Sterling

Mar 31, 2014 6:01 PM in response to TedJ

TedJ - you are the man!!

Based on your feedback about the lightning connector, I realized I was using the original Apple cable *but* I was extending it from behind my iMac 27 with a Male-to-Female USB extension cable (only 1 meter).

I connected the Apple cable directly to the iMac (bypassing the USB extension cable), and Voila! Problem solved!

Thank you!!!

😎

Jun 12, 2015 12:23 PM in response to djnewlin

Mine also turned out to be a cable issue. I use two cables, both OEM Lightning, one that came with my iPhone 5S and other with my iPad Air. I frequently interchange the cables due to traveling and moving around the house to different chargers. There is no visible difference between them.

However, using one of the cables with my iPad Air (I'm assuming now it's the one that came with my iPhone 5S) to attempt to attach to iTunes gave me the problem of "Trust this Computer" message popping up over and over. I tried all the solutions found here and elsewhere -- updating drivers, removing and installing the latest iTunes, etc. and nothing worked.

On a hunch, I tried the other cable (presumably the one that came with my iPad Air), the problem went away and I was able to attach to iTunes. Interestingly, BOTH cables work just fine with my iPhone 5S !!

I'm sure the older cable is not damaged, so does this mean there are two different versions of the Lightning cable. Doesn't seem likely but my results seem to say otherwise.

Trust this Computer - iPad/iMac Message Keeps Popping Up - HELP???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.