Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't stream music using Airport Express

Hi

I have an Airport Express, which I use for streaming music to my stereo. I has been working fine for a long period of time, but after I moved last time, I can't get it to work.

I think it has been set up correctly through Airport Utilities, where it is wireless connected to an already excisting network. It now says in Airport Utilities that it's connected and the signal is at its best, and there is a green light on the Airport Express, but I still can't find either with my Mac, iPad og iPhone...

Does anyone have an idea of what the problem could be?

Thanks for your help!!

Posted on Mar 21, 2014 5:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2014 11:38 AM

Hey there phha11ad,

It sounds like you are unable to play music via Airplay streaming to your Airplay enabled speakers on any device to your Airport Express connected in bridge mode to your existing network. I recommend this section of the following article named:

Wi-Fi base stations: How to set up and configure AirPort Express for AirPlay and iTunes

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4587

Connecting to an existing Wi-Fi network as part of a legacy WDS or Extended Network
User uploaded file

AirPort Express extends Wi-Fi network range and streams iTunes music simultaneously using Extended Network for AirPort Express with 802.11n, or legacy WDS with AirPort Express 802.11g from another Wi-Fi base station.

Due to the overhead required for this configuration, you may expect AirPlay drop-outs such as intermittent loss of audio.

How to set it up

1. Connect your AirPort Express to your home stereo or powered speakers.
  2. Plug AirPort Express into the power outlet. There is no "on" switch.
  3. If you are setting up an AirPort Express (802.11a/b/g/n) with other 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi base stations, read Setting up and configuring an extended wireless network (802.11n) OR, if you are setting up an AirPort Express (802.11b/g) with other 802.11b/g Wi-Fi base stations, read Setting up and configuring a Wireless Distribution System (802.11b/g).
  4. Ensure that "Enable AirPlay/AirTunes" is checked in the AirPort Utility Music tab.
  5. Open iTunes on your computer and choose the AirPort Express(es) you wish to stream music through from the speakers pop-up menu in the lower right-hand corner of the iTunes window.
    Note: Apple doesn’t recommend combining 802.11 b/g and 802.11 a/b/g/n Wi-Fi base stations in the same network.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

All the best,

Sterling

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 23, 2014 11:38 AM in response to phha11ad

Hey there phha11ad,

It sounds like you are unable to play music via Airplay streaming to your Airplay enabled speakers on any device to your Airport Express connected in bridge mode to your existing network. I recommend this section of the following article named:

Wi-Fi base stations: How to set up and configure AirPort Express for AirPlay and iTunes

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4587

Connecting to an existing Wi-Fi network as part of a legacy WDS or Extended Network
User uploaded file

AirPort Express extends Wi-Fi network range and streams iTunes music simultaneously using Extended Network for AirPort Express with 802.11n, or legacy WDS with AirPort Express 802.11g from another Wi-Fi base station.

Due to the overhead required for this configuration, you may expect AirPlay drop-outs such as intermittent loss of audio.

How to set it up

1. Connect your AirPort Express to your home stereo or powered speakers.
  2. Plug AirPort Express into the power outlet. There is no "on" switch.
  3. If you are setting up an AirPort Express (802.11a/b/g/n) with other 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi base stations, read Setting up and configuring an extended wireless network (802.11n) OR, if you are setting up an AirPort Express (802.11b/g) with other 802.11b/g Wi-Fi base stations, read Setting up and configuring a Wireless Distribution System (802.11b/g).
  4. Ensure that "Enable AirPlay/AirTunes" is checked in the AirPort Utility Music tab.
  5. Open iTunes on your computer and choose the AirPort Express(es) you wish to stream music through from the speakers pop-up menu in the lower right-hand corner of the iTunes window.
    Note: Apple doesn’t recommend combining 802.11 b/g and 802.11 a/b/g/n Wi-Fi base stations in the same network.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

All the best,

Sterling

Jun 28, 2014 7:10 AM in response to sterling r

I have the same problem, running mavericks on MackBook Pro and an 11g Airport Express set up as a client on my wireless network

Airplay sees the airport express sometimes (although airport utilities 6.3 doesnt support this: I set it up with an earler version); but never connects and iTunes doesnt stream music to this device/speakers. Is this fixed by buying a new express or is it an itunes/mavericks issue?

Can't stream music using Airport Express

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.