Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems adding new mail accounts.

Hello everybody,

I can't add any new account in the mail / or settings app. After putting in all required information the account simply doesn't show up the the list. Any Ideas? When I add the account directly in the mail app, the new account shortly shows up and syncs the emails. After restarting the mail app, the account is gone.

Best regards

Dennis

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 21, 2014 6:50 AM

7 replies

Mar 22, 2014 6:34 AM in response to NE2SYN

You are welcome.

You can try to set up the account manually. In the Mail application, when you click the plus sign to add a new account, hold down the option key while clicking continue. You will need to have all the server and port information for your e-mail provider.

The blunt axe approach.

Do a backup.

Quit Mail.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Go to Library/Containers/com.apple.mail. Move the folder com.apple.mail to your desktop. You must move the entire folder, not just the contents.

Re-launch Mail and test. If the problem is solved, recreate any required Mail settings and import any emails you want to save from the folder on the desktop. You can then put the folder in the Trash. If the problem remains, return the folder to where you got it replacing the one that is there.

Information learned from Linc Davis. Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

Mar 26, 2014 3:37 PM in response to Eric Root

Hi Eric,

I tried out your approach. Unfortunately it didn't help, too. When I launch Mail after having put the container to the desktop everything stays the same. I see all my emails and accounts as if nothing changed. Is this the expected behaviour after moving the com.apple.mail container?

Best regards

Dennis

Mar 27, 2014 7:49 AM in response to NE2SYN

I just tested what I recommended again and there wasn't a change, so that appears that is normal.

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. If Back-to-My Mac is selected in System Preferences, the Guest account will not work. The intent is to see if it is specific to one account or a system wide problem. This account can be deleted later.

Isolating an issue by using another user account

If the problem is still there, try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account. Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up after waiting 10 seconds. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once.

Safe Mode

Safe Mode - About

Mar 27, 2014 1:40 PM in response to Eric Root

Hi Eric,

thanks again for your quick reply. When I add the email account to my other admin account I don't have any problems, all works fine. It seems to be a problem of the other user account. Unfortunately booting in safeMode didin't help, too. I as the thinking about possible 3rd party app that could cause this problem. The only app / plugin that came to my mind was GPGTool 2.1. So I uninstalled the tool but failed again adding the account after a reboot.

Problems adding new mail accounts.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.