Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My windows 8 bootcamp got changed to FAT format.

So I needed more space on my windows 8 bootcamp drive. So I resized my Macintosh HD drive and added about 20 GBs of space, then went to Windows and changed the drive space to add the 20 GBs to it and it worked fine. (This was mostly a test to see if you can change the amount of space on a Windows bootcamp drive) Since it worked fine I decided that I would add more space to Windows drive and actually start using the drive. So I decreased the size on my mac and then went to Windows to add more space, but when I restarted my mac holding the option key the only available drive was my Mac and a Recovery drive... I don't know what happened to my Windows drive, so I opened Disk Utility and it changed the name of the other drive and now it's Format is MS-DOS (FAT)...

Does anyone know what happened to it, or how I can get it back or will I have to delete the partition and recreate it? That's kind of the last thing I want to do, but if I have to I guess I will.

One more question, I actually have Windows 8 on my Mac, but I've noticed several problems because I'm pretty sure Apple's Bootcamp doesn't support Windows 8 yet, first is that scrolling doesn't work on my Mac's touchpad, I have to connect a mouse to be able to scroll. Also to right click, I have to connect a mouse and use it's right click button because I can't on my mac's touchpad. And finally the volume doesn't go to my speakers even though it says the volumes on and it has the speakers selected.. So is there a fix for this? Or would you recommend going to Windows 7 instead?

MacBook Pro, MacBook Air Mid 2011

Posted on Mar 21, 2014 8:31 AM

2 replies

My windows 8 bootcamp got changed to FAT format.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.