Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB device names

Hi All,

I have two Peavey devices that provide USB connectivity (a PV14 mixer and a Valveking amp). Both devices show up as "USB Audio CODEC" in the input/output dialogs. I'm wondering if there is some way to rename the inputs/outputs to avoid confusion. Appreciate any suggestions.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Mar 21, 2014 9:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2014 12:56 PM

No, as far as I know this is read from the hardware, so only if there's a way to edit the hardware (via firmware) this might be possible. However, I believe you cannot access those TI chips, they're most likely read-only.

The only way to avoid confusion is to test things out. I've dealt with the same thing (two "USB Audio Codec"s) for a while - until I upgraded to a slightly more 'serious' audio interface, which has it's proper name (brand&type) as identifier. It would be handy if OS X would somehow interfere and add a simple "2" to the second devices' name...

Come to think of it, you could create two aggregate devices each containing only one USB audio codec, and naming those devices Peavey and Valveking respectively.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3956

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 21, 2014 12:56 PM in response to John Schur

No, as far as I know this is read from the hardware, so only if there's a way to edit the hardware (via firmware) this might be possible. However, I believe you cannot access those TI chips, they're most likely read-only.

The only way to avoid confusion is to test things out. I've dealt with the same thing (two "USB Audio Codec"s) for a while - until I upgraded to a slightly more 'serious' audio interface, which has it's proper name (brand&type) as identifier. It would be handy if OS X would somehow interfere and add a simple "2" to the second devices' name...

Come to think of it, you could create two aggregate devices each containing only one USB audio codec, and naming those devices Peavey and Valveking respectively.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3956

Mar 21, 2014 1:17 PM in response to Eriksimon

That's it! Creating two Agggregate Devices is exactly what I was looking for. Each with one of the USB Audio CODECs assigned and renamed to identify the sourse. Perfect! Thanks Eriksimon... much appreciated.

Regards

John

PS: Definitely answered my question; I somehow ended up wiith "This Helped me" checked in the response but it was indeed the answer.

USB device names

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.