Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Create AAC version grayed out iTunes 11

Hi!

I am running in Mavericks, iTunes 11. I have a song that I would like to convert to ringtone for my iPhone 5S.

I have followed the preliminary steps:

User uploaded file

And I have made sure I have the proper Import settings:

User uploaded file

However, when I go to File > Create New Version, the Create AAC Version option is grayed out:

User uploaded file

I have tried both songs purchased through iTunes and songs I previously had, non-protected. The song is correctly highlighted. Has any of you faced this same issue? How did you resolve it?

Thanks in advance!

iOS 7.1

Posted on Mar 21, 2014 10:07 AM

28 replies

Mar 21, 2014 10:39 AM in response to ClaraMGR

As KiltedTim mentions, photos are not showing up.

ClaraMGR wrote:

Thank you for the replies!

This is an mp3 file, but I cannot set it as ringtone. How could I change it to m4r?

You have to first convert MP3 to AAC.

1. iTunes preffs > General. Click the Import Setings button and set it to AAC.
  2. Find the song you want and note the start/stop times you want the ring tone to be.
  3. Right click - get info, click the Options tab and set the start/stop times as above. (Note a 40 second max for ringtones)
  4. Right click - Create AAC version. This creates a new file.
  5. Drag this new file from the iTunes window to the desktop.
  6. Delete the file from iTunes and also select Delete from hard drive.
  7. On the desktop, rename the file whateveryouwant.m4r (first part you can change to whatever you want and change the extension to .m4r).
  8. Drag the file back to the iTunes library at top left.
  9. Make sure iTunes prefs > General has Tones ticked

Jul 12, 2014 10:44 PM in response to ClaraMGR

Why can't some one explain this problem clearly even from apple guys. ClaraMGR i know your problem clearly.

Latest I tunes can't convert your mp3 to ACC even if you change the extension from mp3 to ACC it wont allow you to drop in the tones.

This is not easy task, am computer tech guy i know how things works but i always ended up fighting with user interface with iTunes its very complected for general users. I spend almost a half day to figure out whats wrong with it. finally made my own crack. Am still not sure if this is right way but 100 percent it works not matter what your format is.

I imagine you Followed all this steps.

2. Make sure iTunes prefs > General has Tones ticked

3. This is the key point you need some converter mp3 to AAC i used soundforge open a mp3 in soundforge got to file save as AAC/MP4

4. rename the saved AAC to m4r. IF you don't see the extension type in to youtube unhide extension in windows.

5. Drag and drop the file in to itunes tone and go enable the itunes tone sync and click the sync it will convert the file to ringtone and puts in to your itunes tone folder automatically you done. Thats all i hope this will help some one.

6. got to iphone>general>sounds you will see your file on the top

Why this is not a one click button 😟, Would be a lot easier if drag the file and right click convert to tone job done right. Why would some one make this so complected to spend days to figure out this is not a some thing we are achieving this is just a insane why would we spend hours of our valuable time to make ringtone this way. this isn't a one thing even i don't know how to grab my own photos from my iPhone its like am running circles around again and gain got nothing. Itunes is not user friendly, I really don't know how itunes software development user testing tools were implemented its pathetic. Even when i open to buy a apps thats insane shocking i never open that again, i dont find any proper apps, none of them is user friendly its so confusing that freaks me out spending my time on it, Am big fan of apple but am trying to convince my self with itunes but nooooooooooooooo its not easy and i got no time for thisssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Jul 13, 2014 7:17 AM in response to mahenz24

mahenz24 wrote:

Why can't some one explain this problem clearly even from apple guys.

Because we don't have a problem.

Latest I tunes can't convert your mp3 to ACC even if you change the extension from mp3 to ACC it wont allow you to drop in the tones.

Corrrect. Tones are not AAC files.

This is not easy task,

Actually, it is very simple.

3. This is the key point you need some converter mp3 to AAC i used soundforge open a mp3 in soundforge got to file save as AAC/MP4

Why use a 3rd party app when iTunes will do it?

Follow the simple steps I previously (4 months ago) wrote above...

Jan 30, 2015 7:28 PM in response to Chris CA

Actually, there is a problem. It is a U/X problem. There is no reason why the app should preclude a transcoding method that is available to the app. It is confusing and adds no demonstrable value. Want to highlight the fact that there is a default format? Go for it. Preclude transcription until an arcane series of steps are taken to change the default codec?

Fail.

Why? The user isn't always interested in changing the default. I for one like mp3 as the default codec. It is very portable. I do however like to make ring tones now and then. Instead of simply choosing from one of the codecs available I must first change the default. Then I make the tone. Then I must change the codec back. What is that, 10 clicks?

Apr 9, 2015 9:05 AM in response to ClaraMGR

2. Make sure iTunes prefs > General has Tones ticked

4. rename the saved AAC to m4r. IF you don't see the extension type in to youtube unhide extension in windows.

5. Drag and drop the file in to itunes tone and go enable the itunes tone sync and click the sync it will convert the file to ringtone and puts in to your itunes tone folder automatically you done. Thats all i hope this will help some one.

6. got to iphone>general>sounds you will see your file on the top

BOOM!

Create AAC version grayed out iTunes 11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.