Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using iTunes! and iCloud!

Hi,

I am very desperate now. In order to use my Apple ID, Apple is asking me for my credit card details, but I do not really want to give them. I read about Apple having problems to provide security for its OS Lion, Mountain Lion and others. I have tried to upgrade my operating system to Maverick, but I cannot, because I need to provide the credit card details in order to download, use iTunes or iCloud. I read this thread and others several times trying to find a solution. I have done everything mentioned here and there, but I cannot get rid of the stupid request. Believe me, I have been on this since November 2013.

My iPhone was stolen recently. I could not synchronize it with my other gadgets and my MacBook because of the same issue. First question the police asked me was if I had installed the application to track it down. They could not believe that Apple was asking for my credit card details; they even made feel embarrassed. But, it is true. Some customers can use their Apple IDs with no credit card request, others like me, get a lot of trouble from Apple.

Why does Apple require this information to download freeware? Can they not just do as the other smart companies that require this information only when the customer wants to actually BUY something? Does Apple need smarter people? Yes, I know you would say that Apple is not charging for freeware, but really, that is not the issue. Sensitive information should not be shared for no reason.

Can someone from Apple help me with this? I am now seriously thinking about selling all my mac gadgets and move to Android, Windows or anything more customer friendly.

Any help would be appreciated.

Credit card details required

Posted on Mar 21, 2014 12:36 PM

1 reply

Mar 21, 2014 12:47 PM in response to JLuB

I have had an Apple account with a listed credit card in the account since my first purchase when iTunes was introduced in 13 years ago. Apple accounts are secure. As long as you are secure and don't allow friends and family access to the information that protects and maintains the security of the account.

That said, you can select the None option and not provide a credit card in the payment methods. This user, mountaingoatgirl, explains steps to follow to insure that you are offered the None option. You must follow them exactly. Others report that this has been successful for them.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5295285?answerId=24907941022#24907941022

Using iTunes! and iCloud!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.