Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme vs ASUS AC68-U 1900?

I hope I'm not breaking policy to ask for a recommendation, apologizes if so...

I have been having WiFi problems with my DLINK DIR 655, and a friend gave me a new ASUS AC68-U ac 1900 top of their line Dual Band. AND the WiFi test speeds on my iPad Air match my Ethernet speed into my Mac Pro - 33Mbps! On the DLINK I was vascilating between 20 Mbps and then throttling down to .67 Mbps. The DLINK is 7 yrs old and toast.

But usually you take a hit on WiFi vs Ethernet so to get the exact same speed is startling.

I have to return the ASUS and time to buy a new router and like having Apple everything. The speeds of 450 to 1300 on each band are obviously more than we can real world use but my concern is the internal antenae vs other Router's external ones like ASUS.

I'm wondering if anyone can give a testimony on the AirPort Extreme speeds. I don't want to test and return it. So I'm trying to buy it and keep it 😀

Does anyone think I can match the 33 Mbps download WiFi speeds I'm getting with ASUS? AirPort's Beam technology sure sounds sweet.

Best

Steven

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5), 4-Core Mid 2012

Posted on Mar 21, 2014 1:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2014 2:42 PM

Does anyone think I can match the 33 Mbps download WiFi speeds I'm getting with ASUS? AirPort's Beam technology sure sounds sweet.

The Asus is from hardware nearly identical.. same chipset at least.... but I think Asus is better developed.. Asus have been doing lots of firmware upgrades.. Apple has released 2. Asus has longer experience with AC wireless routers.. several models.. apple has one.

People find such different results that it is impossible to tell you how it will perform. It depends on too many factors.. I can tell you range on the Asus is tops.. it is very unlikely the Apple will work as well with the same signal path loss. But this is not meaningful unless you have high signal path loss in the location you will use your devices.. And the only way to find that out is buy an AC apple router and keep it for 14days and decide..

I would do it today so you can do direct A-B testing between the Asus and the Apple.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 21, 2014 2:42 PM in response to Steven Shmerler

The Asus is from hardware nearly identical.. same chipset at least.... but I think Asus is better developed.. Asus have been doing lots of firmware upgrades.. Apple has released 2. Asus has longer experience with AC wireless routers.. several models.. apple has one.

People find such different results that it is impossible to tell you how it will perform. It depends on too many factors.. I can tell you range on the Asus is tops.. it is very unlikely the Apple will work as well with the same signal path loss. But this is not meaningful unless you have high signal path loss in the location you will use your devices.. And the only way to find that out is buy an AC apple router and keep it for 14days and decide..

I would do it today so you can do direct A-B testing between the Asus and the Apple.

Jul 21, 2015 10:28 PM in response to AbrahamS_NY

I went with the ASUS because it had more features and seemed a bit better thought out and faster. It has 2 USB 3.0 ports vs 1 USB 2.0. ASUS has 5 Ethernet ports vs 3. I like having external antennas so you can move and direct as needed. ASUS boasts having a proprietary RF enhanced tuning system supposed to enhance speed plus dual core processor so Ethernet and WiFi connections are separated.

I couldn't be happier. Ive had it over a year and not one problem. I never have to power cycle it. It never slows down and tech support is excellent. Apple's is too of course. I'be been using Apple since 1985 and always go Apple but for routers felt better with the ASUS. I'd probably love the Extreme but needed the extra features. Do what I did. Print out the specs for each and compare feature by feature. Good news is they both are great routers. If I didn't need the 5 ports and want USB 3.0 I'd have gone with Apple. hope that helps.

Nov 24, 2015 2:01 PM in response to Steven Shmerler

We got the Asus based on the tech specs and review. After a bit over a year, it died. Want to know what took it's place until we could buy a new one? My original Apple Time Capsule from 2008. And the only thing it did not support was the 802.11 AC protocol. When my husband asked if we should get the Airport Extreme or another Asus, I looked are him and said, "You're kidding, right?"

Gotta love the lifespan of an Apple product.

Nov 25, 2015 2:11 AM in response to kmsimpson2000

I Ended up getting the ASUS also cuz of the specs, great support beyond 2 years that AppleCare offers, 3 external positionable antennas and USB 3.0 port which interestingly the Apple Extreme I looked at just yesterday still doesn't offer and only has 3 vs 4 Ethernet ports On the ASUS.

Longevity: my ASUS is still going strong. Only new wrinkle is we moved to a big 1930's home with plaster, lathe & metal mesh walls which I've learned are the worst for WiFi full home penetration. so we now have to settle on which of the various ways to extend WiFi. Unfortunately Ethernet wiring the home is out cuz too many obstacles in the walls although I am considering running wire along the outside to either switches to WiFi extenders at each dead or brown spot on other floors. The powerline extenders intrigue me but I think to work you have to plug them into outlets on the same circuit and in home this old electrical is quit a patchwork quilt. TBC.

But floors and wall obstructions aside, the ASUS AC-68U has been great. And now ASUS has a 3-band monster!

More later after I get a plan and get solid WiFi throughout our home. Basement too!

Airport Extreme vs ASUS AC68-U 1900?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.