Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delete or Add PDF Pages in Preview with Mavrick osx

I can 'add' but not 'delete' PDF pages through 'Preview' using Mavrick on iMac ... individual pages do not highlight in the sidebar to facilitate a delete from the 'edit' toolbar.

Any advice is certainly appreciated.

Thank, Charles

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Mar 21, 2014 1:46 PM

11 replies

Mar 23, 2014 12:05 PM in response to Linc Davis

From 'Preveiw' I can only 'delete' a page if I have first added a page.

I can not open an existing multi-page PDF and delete a selected page; no pages show up in the sidebar to highlight and delete.

So I 'add' a dummy page to activate the sidebar ... so I can then 'delete' what I chose.

I am thinking that Apple would not design something so vital that esentially requires a work-around.

Any thought on how to cue up a PDF and delete a page without first adding a page?

I hope this clarifies my question.

Thanks. --- C

Mar 23, 2014 1:52 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks Linc,

I created all PDF's with either the most recent version of 'Pages' or 'Keynote' which I downloaded from my Apple account.

I did not set up any particular user restrictions or permissions in creating the PDF's

I either 'Print' or 'Export' from either program dropdown 'File' menu to create the PDF.

Hopin you have some insight into this.

Thanks for your efforts. ---- C

Mar 23, 2014 2:05 PM in response to lotusmind

Back up all data. Quit Preview if it's running.

Hold down the option key and select Go Library from the Finder menu bar. From the Library folder, delete the following items, if they exist:

• Containers/com.apple.Preview
  • Preferences/com.apple.Preview.LSSharedFileList.plist
  • Preferences/com.apple.Preview.SandboxedPersistentURLs.LSSharedFileList.plist
  • Saved Application State/com.apple.Preview.savedState

Log out and log back in. Launch the application and test.

Mar 23, 2014 3:10 PM in response to Linc Davis

I removed all of the above, logged out and then back in.

Preview remains with the same behavior ... the multi-page document remains as a 'single item' only at the top of the table of contents until I add another page. Then all of the pages appear in the side-bar and I can highlight and delete.

Preview 'taleble of contents' does not seem to display all of the various PDF pages until another page has been added.

Sorry---- Is there anything more that I can do?

2013 iMac (Fusiohn Drive) with Maverick OSX.

Thanks again for your efforts! ---- c

Delete or Add PDF Pages in Preview with Mavrick osx

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.