Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

email mystery

Okay I have placed my first photos from my new Canon Rebel SL1 in iPhoto '11 ( 9.43) on my again MacPro 1,1 running 10.7.5. No problem. They show as 526KB and 2.9MB jpegs in iPhoto. I export set to full size everything to desktop. Files now 1.2MB and 6.4 MB. I email them to a friend and they wind up as GIF size files of 22kb and 13kb.

I then email them to myself, both via Mail and AOL --- numerous times, attaching one or both, using Windoze Friendly or not, with new exports from iPhoto.

They all wind up as miserable 22KB (1.2MB file on desktop) or 13KB ( 6.4MB file on desktop) attachments.

I've never noticed this before and can find nothing in all my settings to suggest a probelm.

Just had a brand new Firefox update? I also installed and update lots of Canon Software with the brand new camera. Canon SU seems to work just fine on computer.

Is it coincidence that the first time this happened was after the update to Firefox 28.0

Sorry to dump this here. But my head is spinning trying to digest the Rebel SL1 -- Canon's "entry leve"l DSLR, that I picked to share with my 14 year old grand daughter who is showing a great eye.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5), Mac OS X (10.6.8), Mac OS X (10.4)

Posted on Mar 21, 2014 8:19 PM

3 replies

Mar 21, 2014 10:51 PM in response to Peter Bannon

Sorry but your post makes no sense - remember we only have words to communicate with so using them properly is critical

Okay I have placed my first photos from my new Canon Rebel SL1 in iPhoto '11

There is no "placing" photo in iPhoto - I assume you mean Imported????

They show as 526KB and 2.9MB jpegs in iPhoto

Please explain - I know of no way that a photo can be two different sizes

I export set to full size everything to desktop. Files now 1.2MB and 6.4 MB

same question

I email them to a friend and they wind up as GIF size files of 22kb and 13kb.

exactly how are you e-mailing them - again this makes no sense at all

And it would be really helpful if you provided consistent information about the configuration you are using for the question

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5), Mac OS X (10.6.8), Mac OS X (10.4)

What do you have for the system you are asking about - it is not possible to have three different OS's on the same computer -- and what version of iPhoto

Guesses could be made but it makes more sense if you would provide details of the system you are asking about and details of your workflow

LN

Mar 22, 2014 12:13 AM in response to Peter Bannon

They show as 526KB and 2.9MB jpegs in iPhoto. I export set to full size everything to desktop. Files now 1.2MB and 6.4 MB.

Can we have the exact setting you use to export? If you set the Jpeg slider to maximum then the increase is to be expected. What's happening here is that the photo is exported to a new file that is less compressed than the original.

That said, for a new camera, with an 18 megapixel sensor, those original file sizes are tiny.

I then email them to myself, both via Mail and AOL --- numerous times, attaching one or both, using Windoze Friendly or not, with new exports from iPhoto.

How are you emailing? And as these have been exported from iPhoto, isn't this a question for whatever email client you are using?

email mystery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.