Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Drive Volume Doesn't have a UUID?

I've been trying to get the UUID of a certain volume for quite some time now as I use it in my windows partition but I won't even touch it in OS X. I've tried going though Disk Utility and using the "diskutil info /Volumes/... " command but to no avail. This partition is formatted in NTFS, I don't suppose that would be a problem though considering I was able to successfully prevent mounting of my Windows partition through the fstab file. Below I've posed pictures of what Disk Utility gives me and what my current fstab file looks like. Anyone know how I can get the partition to give me a UUID or maybe another way to prevent a volume from mounting on boot?

Thanks!!

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

The first entry is for the "Windows" partition of my main drive and the second entry is for "STEAM GAMES" (the one I'm trying to hide) with a UUID I got through Windows using the "mountvol" command. This did not work and the second drive still appeared mounted on my desktop in OSX.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 21, 2014 8:45 PM

8 replies

Mar 22, 2014 7:01 AM in response to css123

Interesting. This is the output from my bootcamp drive

Device Identifier: disk1s2

Device Node: /dev/disk1s2

Part of Whole: disk1

Device / Media Name: WINDOWS

Volume Name: BOOTCAMP

Escaped with Unicode: BOOTCAMP

Mounted: Yes

Mount Point: /Volumes/BOOTCAMP

Escaped with Unicode: /Volumes/BOOTCAMP

File System Personality: NTFS

Type (Bundle): ntfs

Name (User Visible): Windows NT File System (NTFS)

Partition Type: Microsoft Basic Data

OS Can Be Installed: No

Media Type: Generic

Protocol: SATA

SMART Status: Verified

Volume UUID: E01E7286-6797-4927-88A8-D840E36343B9

Total Size: 1000.0 GB (999993376768 Bytes) (exactly 1953112064 512-Byte-Blocks)

Volume Free Space: 918.2 GB (918168829952 Bytes) (exactly 1793298496 512-Byte-Blocks)

Device Block Size: 512 Bytes

Read-Only Media: No

Read-Only Volume: Yes

Ejectable: No

Whole: No

Internal: Yes

Solid State: No

Device Location: "Bay 1"

I use the UUID for my bootable clones so I know the command works for them. The only difference I see is

1) Your drive is external and NTFS (or let's say non-Mac Exteneded journaled)

I have tested external, I have tested NTFS, I have not tested both (your case).

Mar 22, 2014 6:58 AM in response to ssls6

I did see this as a possible problem so I formatted the volue back to FAT to see if I could grab a UUID but that did not work either. The ood part is that my Time Machine partiton on the other half of the drive will give me a UUID. The output from diskutil is nearly identitcal aside from having a UUID.

Mar 22, 2014 7:51 AM in response to css123

The problem has seemed to have fixed itself after fiddling with the drive a little more. I booted into windows and changed the name of the drive to simply "Games" (OSX wasn't letting me change it) and then added a new folder into the drive. Once I booted back into OSX, I checked the Disk Utility info screen and the UUID was there. I'm still unsure what the problem was (Maybe it was the name?) but it seems to be fixed for now. Thanks for all the help!

Drive Volume Doesn't have a UUID?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.