Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After upgrading iPad to iOS 7.1 the App Store asks for credit card security code before allowing purchases (including free apps). Is this a change in procedure? Is it safe to give out this sensitive info?

I have recently upgraded my Ipad to iOS 7.1. Now when I try to download a free app from the App Store it asks for verification of my 4-digit credit card number, to be permanently stored with my account details. It didn't ask for this info previously. Why is this? Is it safe to give out this sensitive information?

iPad, iOS 7.1, i pad 3

Posted on Mar 22, 2014 5:05 AM

3 replies

Mar 22, 2014 5:37 AM in response to Justin doit

If this is the same Apple ID your have been using for a long while, you can either enter the security code for your credit card or simply select the "none" option for the credit card type. Selecting none will remove the credit card from your iTunes until you decide to add it back in the future to make a paid purchase. Entering that security code is not charging your card. This usually happens after resetting your Apple ID password just to verify you are you and not some hacker who changed your password without your permission. Keeps them from being able to ring up your credit card.

I hope that helps!

Manage your iTunes payment info: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1918

Mar 27, 2014 12:08 PM in response to Jay-Ray

Thanks. Tried updating my security number without success. It seems a second complication is that I am currently resident in Norway with a UK credit card registered in the UK App Store. It seems the UK App Store refuses to accept the billing address post code (zip code) for my credit card as it is not a recognized UK code. This was not a problem before the upgrade to iOS 7. Both my old iPad and iPad mini worked fine before and I have a couple of hundred apps on them. Now neither will allow me to download new apps, though I am able to update current ones. I have also recently purchased a new iPad and I find it won't display already purchased apps. However, I can download many of my already purchased apps directly from the App Store, but by no means everyone. And I am unable to download any Apps not previously purchased.

I don't want to change to the Norwegian store, both because of the incompatibility of apps in different countries and for linguistic reasons, not to mention the need to change them again in a couple of years time. Is there a simple way to get around this computer inflexibility? would be grateful for all good suggestions!

After upgrading iPad to iOS 7.1 the App Store asks for credit card security code before allowing purchases (including free apps). Is this a change in procedure? Is it safe to give out this sensitive info?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.