Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't iMovie 10 export my HD video at 1080?

I've spent a couple of days editing a whole load of video, adding music, titles, transitions etc. and now when I come to export it to a file, the 1080 option is greyed out and the max resolution is 720. Clicking back onto the project I notice now that the project is 720. The thing is, every single video clip is 1080 and nowhere did I ever tell it I wanted a 720 project. If I set up a new blank project and drag in those same clips it lets me export to 1080 - but of course I'd have to do those two days work all over again. Does anyone know what causes this, and how I can get iMovie to export my original project at 1080? It's very odd - even if I delete all but one clip the 1080 option is still greyed out. If I delete that clip and drag it back into the project, the 1080 option is back. It seems to want me to delete everything and start again but I just can't face redoing all that work. Can anyone help? Thanks. iMovie version is 10.0.2.

OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), 8GB RAM, 2.3Ghz Intel Core i7

Posted on Mar 22, 2014 5:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2014 2:57 PM

I believe the resolution setting is determined by the first clip you put in the timeline. After putting a known 1080p clip into a new project timeline, check that the project is set to 1080p. Then select all from your problem project and copy and past it into the new one. It should remain at 1080p. You can then delete that first clip if you want.

Let me know if this works.

Geoff.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 22, 2014 2:57 PM in response to dackman

I believe the resolution setting is determined by the first clip you put in the timeline. After putting a known 1080p clip into a new project timeline, check that the project is set to 1080p. Then select all from your problem project and copy and past it into the new one. It should remain at 1080p. You can then delete that first clip if you want.

Let me know if this works.

Geoff.

Jul 16, 2014 3:43 PM in response to dackman

When I recently imported a 1080HD movie into iMovie and exported as 1080HD, the video looked awful - grainy and low-res. After several hours I discovered the following fix: Import movies from your camera into iPhoto first, and then drag them to your desktop. When you open iMovie, select the video from your desktop, do your editing and then export as a 1080HD movie and it will look great.

Why won't iMovie 10 export my HD video at 1080?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.