Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Add Internal Hard Disk?

Hello, I have a running Windows 7 installation on my Mac Pro and recently added another internal hard disk. It is formatted in HFS+. However, Windows 7 does not allow me to add a letter to the new hard disk - whereas the third HFS+ hard disk already existing at the time of the BootCamp setup has a letter assigned.

Does this mean that, for having the new HFS+ disk reckognized correctly, i need to reinstall Windows 7??? Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Many thanks, Stefan

Mac Pro (Early 2008), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Mar 22, 2014 5:52 AM

6 replies

Mar 23, 2014 4:30 AM in response to turbostar

Hi turbostar, thank you for your response.

It is a brand-new hard disk freshly formated as mac journaled. My plan was to use it as a data container with de-activated user rights and Paragon HFS+ installed on the Windows 7 side (just because I will mainly use this drive under MacOSX and just sometimes under Windows 7; and hd space on the Windows 7 partition is very scarce).

So I guess the answer is "both". Paragon HFS+ documentation tells me that I shall assign a drive letter under Windows 7, and this is currently not feasible.

Again, thank you for listening.

Mar 23, 2014 6:03 AM in response to turbostar

Thank you turbostar, but since I am mostly in MacOSX and regularly use Time Machine, ExFAT is (currently) no option for me:

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/06/review-is-microsofts-new-d ata-sharing-system-a-cross-platform-savior/2/

Since the only reason for me switching to Windows is currently VirtualDub (yes, there is nothing comparable in MacOSX), this would be too much of a compromise. ArsTechnica basically also recommends Paragon HFS+, so I will try to further sort that out.

Cheers, Stefan

Mar 23, 2014 8:01 AM in response to turbostar

Yes, I did not mention it, and frankly I had not thought that far until I encountered Ars Technica. After further consulting with Paragon (I am already in touch with them), I might consider setting up Windows 7 from scratch again - since it's more or less just Virtual Dub, this is a manageable task. Thanks again for your help - if anybody else has ideas, they're more than welcome.

Add Internal Hard Disk?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.