Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After migrating to new mac, email folders are lost.

I used Migration Assistant to transfer files and data from my old MacBook Air to my new MacBook Air. Everything seems to have transferred just fine, except for my email folders. I have tried plugging in Time Machine to restore them from my backups on my old mac, but the new mac doesn't recognize backups on the old one, so I can't access it through Time Machine while in the mail program. So then I tried searching for my mail files, which (according to what I've read) should be in Library/Mail, but I have no Mail folder that I can find by that path (or, really, by any other). I believe both macs are running Mountain Lion.

MacBook Air (11-INCH, MID 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on Mar 22, 2014 7:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2014 7:35 AM

That Library folder is actually the one in your home folder, which is hidden. You can view it by clicking the Go menu in Finder while holding the Option key down - you'll then see a shortcut to Library.

The mail is held in ~/Library/Mail/V2, inside folders named for each mail account. You should be able to use the File - Import Mailboxes menu in Mail to retrieve them.

Matt

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 22, 2014 7:35 AM in response to babbinc

That Library folder is actually the one in your home folder, which is hidden. You can view it by clicking the Go menu in Finder while holding the Option key down - you'll then see a shortcut to Library.

The mail is held in ~/Library/Mail/V2, inside folders named for each mail account. You should be able to use the File - Import Mailboxes menu in Mail to retrieve them.

Matt

After migrating to new mac, email folders are lost.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.