Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud (beta) has no way to UNLOCK & RESTORE a lost iPhone?

My iPhone 5 was recently stolen. Thus I set up iCloud to track it, succesfully, and since it was stolen by an employee at the Tax free shop in Denpasar, Bali, airport, I felt it was a likely scenario to get it back. After a week of checking cctv, the management there indeed found out who took it and the phone is now back with me. So far, all good.

It turns out there is no choice in iCloud to UNLOCK & RESTORE a tracked phone, to turn off the damned inhibition. It is nice to have the phone made useless when the phone is in the hands of thieves, but in my hands I would like it to work. Reading several Find my iPhone themes here in support, no help. Seems Apple did not quite think of the possibility of stolen phones returning to the owner... At least not enough to make such an unlock-restore function visible and chooseable. In iTunes it seems they did think of that possibility, inhibiting my phone from being restored there until "Find my iPhone is turned off". Well, where is that OFF button, please!

Anyone out there knows how to get the tracked phone back online for the rightful owner?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Mar 22, 2014 7:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2014 7:51 AM

Either force the phone into recovery mode, as described here, & restore it:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1808

Or, login to iCloud.com, locate the phone, then erase it, then restore from backup or setup as new.

9 replies

Mar 22, 2014 5:24 PM in response to Chris CA

Thanks, that - to restart iPhone as new - that would be tough medicine I think. What happens to my apps and all my information regarding those, like WhatsApp and such?

There is just the connection with iTunes that is not working now, the phone just started updating all else (not stauing at March 5th when stolen and locked). So I got a working phone, which iTunes will not backup or reinsert backup in any way. iTunes seems to think that iCloud should be changed, but there thge unit is no more. What to do about the iTunes part, without ripping out everything on my phone?

iCloud (beta) has no way to UNLOCK & RESTORE a lost iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.