Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Black bars when I hook my macbook up to my tv

About a week ago i finally updated my Macbook Pro. After doing so I have experienced a problem when I hook my Macbook up to my tv. I connect my Macbook to my tv(it's a Sharp Aquos tv) using a VGA adapter. I used to be able to do this with no problem. Now when I do it(after the update), my screen turns into a square and I have black bars along the side. I've tried system preferences > display > etc. but I can't seem to figure it out. HELP!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Mar 22, 2014 8:34 AM

1 reply

Mar 24, 2014 1:24 PM in response to JDOWD91

Hello JDOWD91,

You may want to try changing your display settings to "Extended desktop" mode, rather than "Mirroring" mode, as this can cause issues with displays that have different native resolutions than your Mac's display.

Extended desktop

With extended desktop, your displays are treated as one, continuous desktop.

1. Make sure each display is properly connected and powered on.
  2. From the Apple () menu, choose System Preferences.
  3. From the View menu, choose Displays.
  4. Click the Arrangement tab.
  5. Disable (uncheck) "Mirror Displays".

OS X: How to use multiple displays with your Mac in Mountain Lion and earlier

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5019

Cheers,

Allen

Black bars when I hook my macbook up to my tv

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.