Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

camera not working on macbook pro

I had a working camera until a few days ago. I have reset SMC, PRAM, run diagnostics, and rebooted but nothing. The cam seems to just have disappeared from existence! 😕 I had not recently updated software - I did this after the problem appeared. Can anyone help please?? Thanks.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Mar 22, 2014 8:48 AM

1 reply

Mar 24, 2014 12:27 PM in response to stepcon

Hello, stepcon.

Thank you for visiting Apple Support Communities.

I see you have tried some troubleshooting steps already and the issue persists. There are just a couple more steps that I recommend in the article below.

Built-in iSight cameras

These steps are for iSight cameras that are built into a computer, such as the iMac G5 (iSight) or later, the MacBook, or MacBook Pro.

1. See if the issue is application-specific.
    Try another application (iSight works with applications like iChat, PhotoBooth, and iMovie HD 6) to see if the iSight camera exhibits the same behavior in all applications. If it only happens in one application, try reinstalling that application.
  2. See if the issue is user-specific.
    Test your iSight camera in another user account. If the issue only occurs in one user, the issue would be isolated to user settings.
  3. Find out if the computer recognizes the iSight
    Check System Profiler (in the Utilities folder, inside the Applications folder). Under the USB header, check to see if the iSight camera is detected.
  4. Reset SMC or PMU
    Reset your computer's SMC or PMU, and then check System Profiler again. (SMC reset instructions for iMac G5 (iSight), Intel-based iMacs; PMU reset instructions for MacBook and MacBook Pro.)

If your built-in iSight camera is still not behaving correctly after trying all these steps, you may need to contact Apple or an Apple-Authorized Service Provider for service.

How to Troubleshoot iSight

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2090

Cheers,

Jason H.

camera not working on macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.