8 Replies Latest reply: Mar 25, 2014 3:15 AM by Svenborje
Svenborje Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I have an iMac 11,3, OS X 10.9.2 Mavericks. With other words the Mac is too old for Apple TV. Is there other ways to mirror the Mac screen on my smart TV?  It’s too long distance between the Mac and TV for a cable, so it has to be with Wi Fi.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)
  • vazandrew Level 6 Level 6 (15,750 points)

You mean too old to use airplay mirroring, it would work just fine for home sharing or basic airplay in connection with Apple TV.

You can try a 3rd party application like Airparrot, use the trial to see if it works for your needs.

• Svenborje Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thanks a lot!

I'll try that.

Since I have to purchase the Apple TV first, before I can test AirParrot,

I would like to know if you are quite certain it will work on a iMac mid 2010?

I don't use it, and it's a 3rd party program. Best to vist the website, it advertises its requirements however real world usage will vary. You would have a 14 day return window on the unit.

Ok I’ll check it out before I get the AppleTV.

Thanks again vazandrew, I never thought of such a ting as a 3rd party program.

No problem. You wouldn't be able to actually try it out without Apple TV and real world usage will vary, but it may help to see the website. As I said, even if you get the ATV you have a return window.

• tmartine Level 3 Level 3 (965 points)

AirParrot works very well... I have tried it.... quality is good, but not flawless... At least on my system (Mac mini 3,1)... might vary depending on your system and video card.. In my experience, frame rate is a bit low... If you're watching YouTube videos and other standard DEF streaming media on the web then it's fine if you're trying to Stream pristine quality 1080 P video you likely won't be happy...

You know that iTunes support streaming to Apple TVs on any system you just can't do screen mirroring that would allow you to see video in the browser and things like that... But anything you have an iTunes or can convert to a format playing iTunes you can stream to your Apple TV from iTunes

Thanks, now I feel confident to by that AppleTV thing.