Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Switched to Android and not receiving texts from iPhone users. Disabled iMessage and everything! Very frustrated!

I broke my Nexus 4 a few weeks ago and had to use an iPhone as a replacement. I just received my Nexus 5 and having a serious issue not receiving texts from iPhone users who have iMessage enabled on their phone. I also helped my friend recently switch from iPhone -> Android and he went through the same problem. I am seriously very upset at Apple that they are keeping my number hostage and keeping it.

I have done the following things:

1. Turned off iMessage from my old iPhone a few days before I switched to my Nexus 5 - even sent text messages to iPhone users via iPhone
  2. Deregistered ALL my Apple devices from my Apple ID
  3. Changed my Apple ID password
  4. Reformatted my old iPhone

Still then, all my friends with iPhones says it still sends as an iMessage and I am not receiving any text messages from iPhone users.

This is such a bad experience that I am never buying an Apple product again. This is so frustrating and it is ridiculous that this is happening. Some people say that Apple pretty much told them that they would have to change their cell number.... has anyone experienced this?

iPhone OS 3.1.2, Macbook Pro

Posted on Mar 22, 2014 10:50 AM

2 replies

Mar 24, 2014 10:52 AM in response to Kentaro

Hi there Kentaro,

You may find the troubleshooting steps in the article below helpful.

iOS: Deactivating iMessage

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts5185

To deregister your phone number, tap Settings > Messages and turn iMessage off.

If you can't deactivate iMessage after you perform the steps above or you can't access the iPhone, please contact Apple Support.

-Griff W.

Mar 24, 2014 11:27 AM in response to griff w

Hi, thank you for your message. You must have failed to read my original post because as I clearly stated, I "Turned off iMessage from my old iPhone a few days before I switched to my Nexus 5 - even sent text messages to iPhone users via iPhone".

I called Apple and they told me that my number is deactivated and my friends who are having issues sending me texts should contact Apple directly since it is most likely an issue with their phone.... uhhh yea, right! Thanks!

Switched to Android and not receiving texts from iPhone users. Disabled iMessage and everything! Very frustrated!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.