Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iphone 4 keeps switching songs, playing and pausing by itself especially when I use my headphones

Ever since I installed the iOS 7.1 update, my iPhone 4 keeps playing, pausing, switching to the next song, fast forwarding by itself. Especially when I use my headphones. It's getting really frustrating because not only is it when I listen to the music player, but also on youtube videos and then it pause the video and then play the music from the music player or it would pause music on soundcloud by itself too. This mostly happens when I use my headphones but when I don't use my headphones I don't see it happening.

A friend called me and I was using my headphones and the conversation kept getting hanged up by itself it wasn't until I stopped using the headphones that I could have a normal converstation, but I only talked for less than a minute without the headphones so it wasn't enough to tell me that it is the headphones that is the problem. So is it my phone or my headphones? Is this a software problem because of the update because my headphones were not doing this before, HOW CAN I MAKE THIS STOP. (This has been happening for almost a week now)

BTW: I also noticed that if I am listening to music on the music player or youtube and its in my pocket or hand and Im jumping to the song or shaking (lol) the songs pause and plays then switches to the next song aaaaurrrrrruuuuuuuggggggghrrrrrghhhhhhh WHATS GOING ON

iPhone 4, iOS 7.1

Posted on Mar 22, 2014 12:47 PM

1 reply

Mar 24, 2014 7:20 AM in response to alplease

Hello alplease,

It sounds like your touch screen is acting erratically and seems to be exacerbated when you have your earphones in. I recommend the information in the following article named:

iPhone, iPad, iPod touch: Troubleshooting touchscreen response

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1827

1. Restart your device
    • Hold the On/Off button until "slide to power off" appears. Slide to power off your device. When it is off, press the On/Off button to turn it back on.
    • If you can't restart your device, reset it by pressing and holding the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button at the same time for a least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.
  2. Clean the screen with a soft, slightly damp, lint-free cloth.
  3. Avoid using the device while wearing gloves, with wet hands, or immediately after applying hand lotion.
  4. If you have a protective case, or if you are using a plastic sheet or film on the display, try removing them and testing the device without it.

If the steps above don't resolve your issue, please schedule a service appointment with an Apple Retail Store for evaluation. If an Apple Retail store is not an option, contact Apple to find out your best service option or see theService FAQ for your product.

You can also try closing all the open apps:

iOS: Force an app to close

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5137

Double-click the Home button.

Swipe left or right until you have located the app you wish to close.

Swipe the app up to close it.

When you have done that and restart the phone and test the issue again:

iOS: Turning off and on (restarting) and resetting

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1430

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Regards,

Sterling

My iphone 4 keeps switching songs, playing and pausing by itself especially when I use my headphones

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.