Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My ipod classic restores, then keeps going back into recovery mode?

My ipod classic need restoring before I can sync. However everytime I restore my ipod it then goes back into recovery mode and have to restore again. Have no idea what to do I have the latest iTunes and have tried all different process but all fail.

Help please

iPod classic, Windows 7

Posted on Mar 22, 2014 2:46 PM

5 replies

Mar 22, 2014 3:15 PM in response to Smithy90

have tried all different process but all fail.

I don't know what you tried unless you state them... Try putting the iPod into Disk Mode.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1363

If it goes into Disk Mode, run iTunes on the computer and connect the iPod. If iTunes prompts you to do a Restore, do a Restore. See if there is a difference after the Restore this time.

If the problem recurs, the iPod may have a faulty hard drive. But there may be some other things to try.

Mar 22, 2014 4:20 PM in response to Smithy90

You can try reformatting the iPod using Windows, like it was an external drive. First, put it back into Disk Mode. With iTunes NOT running, use Windows to reformat the iPod's disk. Select the format type "FAT" (or FAT32). If there is an option to do a "quick" format, choose to do a FULL format instead.

It's possible that the format procedure will fail, if the iPod's hard drive is faulty (such as having bad sectors). If it formats successfully, run iTunes and try doing another Restore. It is important that you do a Restore (even if not prompted), because the iPod at this point does not have any of its onboard software or directory structure.

Hopefully, you'll get a different result.

Mar 23, 2014 2:59 PM in response to Smithy90

Is it possible for you to try connecting your iPod to different computer that has iTunes installed? That would rule a problem on the computer or its USB ports, because that error may mean the process is "timing out." If it also fails to Restore on the other computer, the cause is likely to be on the iPod.

If you have not already, be sure to disconnect other USB devices and connect the iPod to direct USB port on the computer (not a hub). That would rule out some kind of conflict between connected USB devices (or a USB hub that is faulty).

My ipod classic restores, then keeps going back into recovery mode?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.