Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

connect my harddrive to Airport to share over the network

I've bought the Airport Extreme Base Station 802.11n Wi-Fi but I'm trying to connect my hard drive (a WD 2 TB hard drive) so I can share it over the Base Station.

The Base Station was purchased for this purpose mainly as the Lacie Cloudbox didn't do what I wanted it to do.

As the Extreme BS is connected after the router it is in Bridge mode.

The Hard drive is the following.

WD Elements 2 TB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive

Technical Details

• Brand Name: Western Digital
  • Model: WDBAAU0020HBK-NESN
  • Hard Disk Size: 2048 GB
  • Warranty: 1 - Year limited warranty
  • Hard Disk Description: Desktop
  • Weight: 1.32 pounds

It is recognised on the Macbook Air when connecting it directly via USB 2.0.

I have another WD Elements 1TB and a 3TB and both are recognsied when connecting via the USB port but not when connecting it to the Airport Extreme. Another Drive, a Toshiba 1TB external harddrive without power supply is also not recognised. The Lacie Cloudbox connnected to the Extreme is recognised without any problem at all.

Btw, while I'm at it. I also have a USB feeder that basically turns the one USB connection into 7 with its own power supply. This works well when connnecting all 5 hard drives I have and the USB super drive to the Macbook and allows me to choose between the 5 hard drives and the super drive without having to unconnect the one drive and then connect the next. This si done basically since each drive is used for a different project.

Would it also work on the Airport Extreme? If I would finally be able to connect the one drive to the Airport Extreme Base Station I suppose the next step would be to see if I can connect all 5 via the feeder into the one USB port.

Any ideas on that? It would basically only need to create a "server" connection to gain acccess and share the device connected to the USB port so I suppose this should work as only one device, the feeder, would be connected to the BS. Still have to make the one work though as that still doesn't work as per above posts.

I'm running Mavericks and the newest version of the airport utility on a 2013 Macbook Air

AirPort Extreme 802.11n (5th Gen), iOS 7.1

Posted on Mar 22, 2014 3:33 PM

2 replies

Mar 25, 2014 1:19 PM in response to flemishgael

Yes, you need to use a USB hub.. powered is not required unless you use a self powered drive..

The USB drive must be correctly Mac formatted HFS+ but it sounds like you will have done that.

I have put together a post where I hope you can contribute your experience.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5912861?tstart=0

The background info there should be enough to help you follow it.

connect my harddrive to Airport to share over the network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.