Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IMac G3 won't update to Mac OS X 10.2 or 3?

Hello,

I have a hobby collecting old macintosh computers and resorting them. I bought a old iMac G3 Tray Loading a few months ago and it works perfectly. However it won't seem to upgrade to Mac OS X.

The disk drive won't accept any discs for the upgrade, even the ones that came with it. When a disc is inserted it says "The disk is unreadable by this computer".

I have heaps of upgrading disks e.g 10.3 Install disc, 10.4 and 10.5 and more. USB do not work on this one for some reason to. So in conclusion how do I upgrade this computer to Mac OS X.

Computer Specs:

Serial Number -Sg******evq

Running - 8.5

Disk cache - 1mb

Virtual memory - 97mb

Built in memory - 32mb

Machine speed - 233 MHz

Also I only won't it to upgrade to early Mac OS X because I know later versions are IMPOSSIBLE!

Thank you,

Regards Stewie

<Edited By Host>

iMac, Mac OS 8.6 or Earlier, PowerPC iMac G3

Posted on Mar 22, 2014 3:46 PM

7 replies

Mar 22, 2014 11:40 PM in response to andbeonetraveler

"I have heaps of upgrading disks e.g 10.3 Install disc, 10.4 and 10.5 and more. USB do not work on this one for some reason."

As you have discovered, the computer won't boot from a USB-connected optical drive. You can connect a CD-ROM or CD-RW drive via USB to read/write CDs, but you can't select that drive to boot the computer. Upgrade disks won't provide a means of installing their versions of OS X, unless the prerequisite version of the Mac OS is installed. There is no upgrade path to OS X from OS 8.5, via upgrade disks. Model-specific Restore disks won't install OS X on that iMac either. You need a retail/universal installer disk (Jaguar or Panther), as well as a working internal optical drive. Tiger isn't supported because it requires onboard FireWire, so Panther is the newest supported version of OS X. Additionally, 32 MBs of installed memory will never be enough to run OS X. Realistically, you should have at least 256 MBs of installed memory as a minimum.

"And I don't have a firewire cord for target disc mode."

The 233 MHz G3 iMacs (Rev. A & B) do not have onboard FireWire ports, so Target Disk Mode isn't an option.

Mar 24, 2014 8:24 AM in response to ALORDS

First off, the 233 Mhz iMac can barely install 10.2 or later.

It must have its PRAM battery replaced first with a fresh one.

Its RAM must be upgraded to 128MB or higher.

Next it must have its firmware updated while booted into Mac OS 9.

Replace the internal optical drive with a working one if the internal one is broke.

http://www.macsales.com/ offers internal drives for those machines.

Here's the tip on upgrading the firmware

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-2125

Once you have upgraded the firmware you'll need a copy of the retail 10.3 installer and apply the 10.3.9 combo as this tip explains:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-2831

IMac G3 won't update to Mac OS X 10.2 or 3?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.