Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Raw JPEG worth the space?

I'm just switching from JPEG to RAW format for my Canon EOS T3. I'm also fairly new to Aperture. There doesn't seem to be any problem importing the Raw files from my camera.

For my first test, I set my camera to Raw + JPEG. This mostly looks like a nuisance, since it wastes space and time. And I have to look at every image twice. So it's a brain waste too. :-)

But is there any value to keeping the JPEGS?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Mar 22, 2014 3:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2014 3:36 PM

I would argue no, there isn't, especially as Aperture can create a jpeg preview automatically on import. This mode does have its uses, and sometimes media shooters do this to have a jpeg to send immediately back to the office. Other than that, I'm not sure I see the value. YMMV

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 22, 2014 3:36 PM in response to tahm77

I would argue no, there isn't, especially as Aperture can create a jpeg preview automatically on import. This mode does have its uses, and sometimes media shooters do this to have a jpeg to send immediately back to the office. Other than that, I'm not sure I see the value. YMMV

Mar 23, 2014 11:03 AM in response to tahm77

For my first test, I set my camera to Raw + JPEG. This mostly looks like a nuisance, since it wastes space and time. And I have to look at every image twice. So it's a brain waste too. :-)

But is there any value to keeping the JPEGS?

First of all, if you already imported RAW & JPEG pairs, the question is moot, since there is no safe way to remove the JPEGs from the pair other than exporting the RAW riginals, then deleting the pair, and reimporting the RAW original file - a lot of work.

RAW & JPEG pairs are useful, if you are satisfied by the raw developement done in your camera and are happy with most of the JPEGs, but want to keep the RAW originals just in case there are a few JPEGS that you rather would like to adjust directly from the RAW in Aperture.

In that case the best strategy would be to import the JPEGs first, identify the images where you rather would use the RAW files, and then import the raw for hese images only.

But if you want to develope all images directly from the RAW yourself, then the JPEGs are really redundant.

Mar 23, 2014 11:25 AM in response to Yer_Man

I think my question was a little ambiguous. I really was asking about the long term strategy, and not really about the one time load I just did of the RAW+JPEG pairs. But all the answers were helpful. Unless space is an issue, or I need to upload somewhere unusual, I'm planning on just taking RAW format from now on. Thanks all.

Raw JPEG worth the space?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.