Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Modem help for AirPort Extreme

Hi all,

I have been using a belkin router for my home internet for about a year, never been happy with it, always cuts out and needs restarting.

The other week it stopped working completely, so I decided to purchase an AirPort Extreme however during setup other questions on the forums told me I need to buy a modem. What modem shall I buy for the best/most reliable setup? The router connects to the telephone line into a little box which I thought was the modem!

Any help will be appreciated! I really want to go to a shop tomorrow and buy what I need to get the internet up and running again!

Thank you

Posted on Mar 22, 2014 4:10 PM

6 replies

Mar 22, 2014 5:08 PM in response to turbostar

I've never had anything provided by the ISP, since the connection was set up back in the days of dial-up.

I have this - http://www.idnet.net/support/guides/basics/microfilters.php

Plugged into the phone line, which plugs into a wireless router (always with built in modem).

Sorry I cannot remember the model and I'm not home right now, it may even be netgear but it is a wireless modem router.

Thanks

Mar 22, 2014 5:42 PM in response to JimmyD111

got it, so that's why we're back to your original question of which modem to buy. talk talk should have a website or call them and ask which modems are compatibile with their system. if they are similar to the US, only certain modems will work, and the ISPs keeps a pretty detailed list of those

since you have a router, don't let them upsell you a modem router combo, just get the best modem for your needs and budget and ensure that it has at least 1 outbound ethernet port that will connec to the extreme

Modem help for AirPort Extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.