Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slideshow in iPhoto - changing the theme for various slides to eliminate KB effect - doesn't "hold" through playback

I have made a couple of slideshows using iPhoto. I used the Ken Burns effect as a theme (using my own music). Many of the slides would not suit the KB effect (African animals) so I used the settings - change this slide to eliminate the KB effect for that slide - I also lengthened the duration that the slide played. I found that the effect I wanted for the slides would be correct for the Preview, but then it would revert to the KB effect upon playing the slideshow. Also, if I happened to move a slide to a different position, all the changes would have gone and I would have to repeat the exercise again! Very time-consuming and frustrating. Why won't the slides keep "their" instructions? Also, I have had iPhoto crash a few times while I am making changes.

Can anyone help me sort this out? I am presently exporting the latest slideshow to iTunes (and I've got my fingers crossed that all the changes I want are there)

iMac (27-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 22, 2014 6:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2014 1:14 AM

NOt really. iPhoto is good for a quick and simple slideshow. For more complex work you need more powerful tools.

Alternatives to iPhoto's slideshow include:

iMovie is on every Mac sold.

Others, in order of price:

PhotoPresenter $29

PhotoToMovie $49.95

PulpMotion $129

FotoMagico $29 (Home version) ($149 Pro version, which includes PhotoPresenter)

Final Cut Pro X $299

It's difficult to compare these apps. They have differences in capability - some are driven off templates. some aren't. Some have a wider variety of transitions. Others will have excellent audio controls. It's worth checking them out to see what meets your needs. However, there is no doubt that Final Cut Pro X is the most capable app of them all. You get what you pay for.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 23, 2014 1:14 AM in response to kathsoo

NOt really. iPhoto is good for a quick and simple slideshow. For more complex work you need more powerful tools.

Alternatives to iPhoto's slideshow include:

iMovie is on every Mac sold.

Others, in order of price:

PhotoPresenter $29

PhotoToMovie $49.95

PulpMotion $129

FotoMagico $29 (Home version) ($149 Pro version, which includes PhotoPresenter)

Final Cut Pro X $299

It's difficult to compare these apps. They have differences in capability - some are driven off templates. some aren't. Some have a wider variety of transitions. Others will have excellent audio controls. It's worth checking them out to see what meets your needs. However, there is no doubt that Final Cut Pro X is the most capable app of them all. You get what you pay for.

Mar 23, 2014 10:43 AM in response to kathsoo

I can't duplicate your entire problem with iPhoto 9.5.1. If a photo is changed to a different location the selected theme is reapplied to all photos. I don't know if that's a bug or if it was intended. Send a feature request to Apple via http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphoto.html.

However, I can remove the KB effect on various slideshow and it will be maintined during full screen play. The changes also export with an exported slideshow.

As a test launch iPhoto with the Option key held down and create a new, test library. Import some photos and test to see if the same problem persists. Does it?

OT

Message was edited by: Old Toad

Slideshow in iPhoto - changing the theme for various slides to eliminate KB effect - doesn't "hold" through playback

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.