Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Major Battery drain after iOS 7.1 update 5c

I believe there are numerous threads in regards to battery drain issues after applying the iOS 7.1 update, but i've seen no real fix yet.

Before the update I could go to work with a 100% charge and leave work on the afternoon with about 50-60% left when finishing work.

After the update, it's dead even before i finish work. For example, yesterday my phone was at 100% at 10am when i started work and died at 4:30 pm(!).

I only used phone to check about 20 mins of facebook, check some mails and send a few sms, no calls at all (that i usually have). How on earth can my phone drain this quick??! It worked perfectly fine before this update..

I'm tired of reading possible "fixes" that involves disabling this and that fuction, like parrsalax, back app, auto brightness or whatever it now can be - I had the same setting before the update, why should I now have to reduce the function of my phone becuse Apple made a bugged update?

I've contacted Apple support, and they suggested trying a firmware reset (again) but without restoring my backup.

iPhone 5c, iOS 7.1

Posted on Mar 22, 2014 6:15 PM

6 replies

Mar 23, 2014 10:09 PM in response to killhippie

I've now tried restoring to factory settings without restoring the backup, the battery doesn't drain as quick now.. Restored my backup, back to draining again.. So this means that I have to wipe my phone, not able to have any of my messages, photos, apps, etc etc just because Apple released a update that caused this issue? I'm starting to get very tired of this....

Mar 23, 2014 11:48 PM in response to Tobbsie

No it means you have a corrupt back up more than likely. Which way did you back up? Try using iCloud, it brings down less junk. Or export your contacts and pics to another idevice using airdrop then rebuild the phone that way,. My phones ok, the majority of users phones are ok, but like any software update things can go wrong. Your phone is a powerful mini computer, not just a phone and the mixture of apps, and updates and possible corruption can effect any software, same goes for android too. Try just installing contacts, and then one app at a time, all your apps are in purchases so you don't loose anything, also a good time to clean house. It may be an app that's not been optimised for 7.1 that's causing the issue. Hope you sort it out.

Mar 30, 2014 10:51 PM in response to Tobbsie

Alright, after numerous restores and testing I've now got the phone behave and not drain the battery. Results as follows:

- Update phone from iOS 7.04 to iOS 7.1 - Battery Drain started

- Restore iOS 7.1 to factory default without restoring backup - Battery OK

- Restore iOS 7.1 to factory default and restoring iTunes backups (3 different backups) - Battery Drain issue

What did work in the end:

- Restore iOS 7.1 to factory default and restoring iTunes backup, and after restore reset everything under "General>Reset" except "Erase all contents and settings") Deleting most apps except the ones I use everyday, like FB, banking etc.

The cause of this battery drain is still a mystery though..

Hope this helps someone!

Major Battery drain after iOS 7.1 update 5c

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.