Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why won't my new 1tb Hitachi HD upgrade not pick up on my macbook pro 13'

trying to upgrade from a 500gb to a 1tb on my macbook pro 13', 2010 (year)

New drive is a 1 tb hitachi 7200 2.5

I made a bootable flash drive (Mavericks)

Installed the new HD, pressed Option + Power and nothing.

I guess a pointer and a grey screen.

I already bought two new HD's. An Identical Hitachi and a SEagate.

Niether picked up, same thing happened.

Old drive still works fine.

I am planning on Recovering from TIME MACHINE.

I noticed the old drive is 700 mamp, the new ones are 800mamp (HItachi) and 850mamp (seagate)

PLEASE HELP !?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Mar 22, 2014 6:33 PM

9 replies

Mar 22, 2014 6:42 PM in response to pioter g

so when you hold down option, do you eventually see your USB key as a boot option? it may take awhile, but the USB installer should show up.

i don't expect your drives to show since there's nothing on them yet.

click on the USB icon, and then choose disk utility when you get to the menu. select the new HD on the left hand side and reformat as mac journaled. then exit disk utility and choose install OSX to this newly formatted drive.

Mar 22, 2014 6:52 PM in response to pioter g

I'm assuming that you had the flash drive inserted when you pressed the option key so that you could select it as your boot drive?

Don't press option and the power key at the same time - wait until your here the 'bing' sound on start up before holding down the option key.

How did you prepare the flash drive? Did you use something such as DiskMaker X so that the drive would be bootable? Or Disk Utility (which takes some specific actions)...

Clinton

Mar 22, 2014 8:17 PM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

My head is frying. Im gonna step away from this for a second and come back later.

I prepared the usb drive by first partitioning it, with the guides options, then did a recover and selected the source and target drives/locations. It restored mavericks onto usb drive sccessfully and i ejected it, the. Plugged it and it had all the info. The proceeded to install hd and reboot.

Mar 22, 2014 8:23 PM in response to pioter g

Once you've recovered....

...try preparing the disk in a different manner. With the application "Install OS Mavericks.app" in your Applications folder, download DiskMaker X and put the flash drive in a USB port. Then run DiskMaker X )it's pretty straight-forward). It will take a while but will create a bootable USB installation USB stick (has to be 8GB+ USB flash drive).

After that I'm sure that you'll be able to boot from the USB stick - and format your drive and install Mavericks.

Good luck,

Clinton

Mar 22, 2014 8:34 PM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

clinton - actually believe most of the 2010 machines and later support internet recovery, basically any machine after 'mid 2010' and OP mentioned 2010 so unless he's wrong about his machine, this should work

pg - here's clinton's suggestion plus another way, i used the 'slightly less easy way' - you don't need to step away, but either internet recovery or a new USB will work

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/10/how-to-make-your-own-bootable-os-x-10-9-mav ericks-usb-install-drive/

why won't my new 1tb Hitachi HD upgrade not pick up on my macbook pro 13'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.