Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto keeps hanging up when creating a book

I've tried a few different ways, but iPhoto keeps hanging up when creating a book. doesn't matter how many photos I select, it hangs. Works fine for other things, such as cards.

iPhoto really feels like a bloated software to me, compared to the many choice available

any suggestions for this particular problem?

thanks

nick

Posted on Mar 22, 2014 7:26 PM

7 replies

Mar 24, 2014 11:50 AM in response to nick baccante

What you have is a corrupted database entry for that book.

Are you able to create a new book, add photos and work with it?

Had a similar problem and could work on another book but not the corrupted book. Couldn't even delete the corrupted book as iPhoto would hang before I could delete it.

I completed the new book and then rebuild the library with iPhoto Library Manager (see below) to get rid of the corrupted book (and all other books, cards, slideshows, etc.).

May I suggest an alternate workflow for books:

1 - create a new library for each book

2 - use the paid version of iPhoto Library Manager to move the photos for the book from your working library to the book library.

3 - when the book is completed and ordered you can copy the library to a CD or DVD to save it in case you'll want to order another copy at a later date.

Using iPhoto Library Manager to Rebuild Your iPhoto Library

• Download iPhoto Library Manager and launch.
  • Click on the Add Library button,

User uploaded file

and select the library you want to add from those in the selection window.

• Now that the library is listed in the left hand pane of iPLM, click on your library and go to the Library ➙ Rebuild Library menu option

• User uploaded file

• In the next window name the new library and select the location you want it to be placed.
  • Click on the Create button.

• Note 1: This creates a new library based on the LIbraryData.xml file in the library and will recover Events, Albums, keywords, titles and comments. However, books, calendars, cards and slideshows will be lost.

Note 2: Your current library will be left untouched for further attempts at a fix if so desired.

OT

Mar 24, 2014 9:00 PM in response to Old Toad

thanks very much for your detailed instructions, but before I try anything I just wanted to check on a couple of things...

How can I even see if there's a book? Basically, what I was experiencing is that I would chose a few photos (and I tried everything from 1 photo to many) then click on Share and pick Book. At this point the software would hang up (endless spinning wheel)

I used Time Machine to import a previous copy of the iPhoto library, and rebuild the library to no avail.

Never a good sign when you need a third party software to do the task that iPhoto supposed to be good at.

Sorry but I'm not too clear on the strategy to create a new library for a new book, given that I don't have any books at all.

Anyway, I'll look over you instructions again and maybe the decison will be to use a whole new piece of software to manage my photos. Alternatively, I can live without creating books with iPhoto 🙂

thanks

Mar 25, 2014 9:31 AM in response to nick baccante

I thought you had a book in progress in your current library. Since that is damaged I would create a new library and transfer the photos you want in it to the book library either with iPLM or by exporting the photos to a folder on the Desktop and importing them into the book library..

Then at a later date if you happen to delete photos from your main library that are in the book (which many users posted they have done and want to order another copy) they will still be in the book library for use at a later date if desired.

iPhoto keeps hanging up when creating a book

Welcome to Apple Support Community
    A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.