Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any way to directly control the apple TV volume via ios remote app?

It is great that remote app can now control direct streaming options to the apple TV (such as apple match, apple radio, and home sharing) but is there any way for the remote app to control the volume?

Note that when I indirectly stream music through an external device (such as an iphone/ipad/laptop), I can of course use an apps volume control (such as, say, spotify, or itunes or whatever), and that works. What i'm talking about here is instances where I'm using the remote app to have the apple TV stream directly from, say, apple radio.

As it stands now, the only way to control the volume in such cases is to control what is receiving the signal from the apple TV (such as an amplifer, or external sound producing device such as powered speakers, etc.).

To make sure this clear to everyone, if I do:

internet -> WIFI LAN -> iphone running, say, spotify -> WIFI LAN via airplay -> Apple TV -> Amplifer

I can control the volume using the spotify app (or even the iphone's volume). This also works if I replace the spotify app with any music app runing

on the iphone (such as the music app). If, however, I try to do the following:

internet -> LAN -> Apple TV -> Amplifer

and where the Apple TV is controled via the latest iphone/ipad remote app so that the Apple TV streams from, say, apple radio directly, there is no way

to control the volume other than to adjust the amplifer.

Thanks very much!

iPad, iOS 7, ios7, ios app store, updating apps

Posted on Mar 22, 2014 10:20 PM

1 reply

Any way to directly control the apple TV volume via ios remote app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.