Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Certain MP4 files will not import into iDVD

I have around a dozen MP4 files that I am trying to burn to DVD's to view on a home DVD player, however some of the files will not import into iDVD. None of these files are very large, I was able to burn 2 per DVD for the first couple pairs, however when I reached a file slightly larger it wouldn't even transer into my project. For example, 2 files (243.7 MB and 233.9 MB) imported easily and burned perfectly, however I then try to transer a file that is 299 MB and it will not even transfer into iDVD. I am growing frustrated...Any ideas why these files are being stubborn? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Adam

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 22, 2014 10:24 PM

5 replies

Mar 23, 2014 4:28 AM in response to akraden

Hi

Yes it is so easy to think wrongly.

As .mp4 as a stadnard of any sort - IT IS NOT - it is a container (sort of folder) and can hold material in Video-Codecs iDVD (and iMovie) can use - OR NOT.

QuickTime-Player can handle many more Video-Codecs than either iDVD or iMovie can use.

So open the Video file (.mp4) in QT-Player

Then open Inspector (cmd+I) and read

Video format : nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Frames per sec : YY.yy

So we know what we are using - and can be able to get it converted to an Usably Codec.

(also Audio file format and Photo file formats can go awry)

AND ! - iDVD DO NOT CARE ABOUT Mb or Gbs at all - ONLY DURATION in Time !

I've 500Mb movies that DO NOT FIT - and 50Gb movies that fit's nicely !

Yours Bengt W

Mar 23, 2014 9:54 AM in response to Bengt Wärleby

Hi Bengt,

Thanks for the quick response. Below is the information you mentioned from Quicktime:

• Here is a file that worked
    • Video Format: JVT/AVC Coding, 640 x 368 AAC, 48000 Hz, Stero (L R)
    • FPS: 29.97
    • Data rate: 1.10 Mbit/s
    • Data size: 243.7 MB
  • Here is one of the files that will not work
    • Video Format: JVT/AVC Coding, 640 x 368 AAC, 48000 Hz, Stereo (L R)
    • FPS: 29.97
    • Data rate: 1.35 Mbit/s
    • Data size: 289.9 MB

Let me know if you are able to target the prolem. Thanks in advance!

Adam

Mar 23, 2014 1:36 PM in response to Bengt Wärleby

Hi Bengt,

Individual clips are all between 25 and 30 minutes, for a total of about 1 hour at most. Encoding quality is perfomance (I believe this is the lowest quality which is totally fine for this project), and the DVD's are Maxell DVD-R, up to 8x, 4.7GB, and 2 hour. Let me know if this helps you decipher the problem.

Thanks again,

Adam

Mar 23, 2014 10:51 PM in response to akraden

A. Duration/Time = Movie time + MENU TIME (and this can be 15 minutes or more) - It is the TOTAL that counts.

B. iDVD only cares about time ! (and it doesn't matter what is noted on the DVD)

iDVD 08, 09 & 11 has three levels of qualities. (version 7.0.1, 7,0.4 & 7.1.1) and iDVD 6 has the two last ones

Professional Quality

(movies + menus up to 120 min.) - BEST (but not always for short movies e.g. up to 45 minutes in total)

Best Performances

(movies + menus less than 60 min.) - High quality on final DVD (Can be best for short movies)

High Quality (in iDVD08 or 09) / Best Quality (in iDVD6)

(movies + menus up to 120 min.) - slightly lower quality than above

Menu can take 15 minutes or even more - I use a very simple one with no audio or animation like ”Brushed Metal” in old Themes.

About double on DL DVDs.

C. I only use Verbatim DVD-R SL

D. I secure a MINIMUM of 25 Gb free space on START-UP Hard Disk (often named Macintosh HD)

E. I make Save as a DiskImage first and see that it plays OK

F. I burn at slowest possibly speed

Good Luck

Yours Bengt W

Certain MP4 files will not import into iDVD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.