Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Earpods!!

Heyy,

So my problem is the new earpods aren't playing music from the part that goes in your ear, but the tiny speakers on the outside are playing the music. What do i do??

Posted on Mar 22, 2014 10:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2015 8:37 AM

Clean Wax With Toothpick and cotton

Now blow Air with pressure putting ur lips... through back side vent i mean the part which remains outside.... u will find a narrow long opening at top.

Block the opposite opening with ur thumb or finger but don't block tthe big mesh openning

worked for me ...hope all will find this easy and useful

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2015 8:37 AM in response to annie5421

Clean Wax With Toothpick and cotton

Now blow Air with pressure putting ur lips... through back side vent i mean the part which remains outside.... u will find a narrow long opening at top.

Block the opposite opening with ur thumb or finger but don't block tthe big mesh openning

worked for me ...hope all will find this easy and useful

May 23, 2014 4:28 PM in response to annie5421

Hi,

This is what I have found with the Apple earpods specifically. I've had two pairs and both have stopped working properly over time. Both pairs have had the volume in the left side go quiet. It appears like the large opening has very low or muffled sound but the smaller grille on the side of the earpods has sound coming out.

I use my earpods a lot at night in bed, often falling asleep with them in. This results in a warming of the wax in the ears and a thin almost imperceptible film, builds up on the grille, effectively muting the sound. I was very sceptical that this was causing the issue as my earpods looked very clean, even on extremely close inspection.

I have found this procedure works best if you wear the earpods for a while, to warm up the wax film and then remove them from your ears and brush the main grille repeatedly with firm but gentle pressure using a toothbrush ( I used an old one, but if you love the flavour of earwax, feel free to use your current one! ). You're not trying to force the bristles through the grille, just to brush the wax off. You should find that 'bits' will form on the grille itself and then they will be brushed off.

You will be surprised how much difference a small amount of wax removal will make.

Hope this helps!

S

Oct 7, 2014 11:13 AM in response to annie5421

I'm going to post a video soon of how to fix it easily... But basically if you pop off the grill (little mesh part) and burn off all the wax the sound will be perfect again. You have to make sure you put the grill back in properly so it doesn't fall off in your ear but it's easy enough to do. It's definitely a design flaw in the earbuds... But it's easy to fix.

Earpods!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.