Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i bought a Ipod 5th generation second hand and i got scammed

i bought this device off of craiglist and when i went to go restore it it had an Icloud account on it so i tried calling back the person who sold me it wich turned out she was calling from a payphone then there is a number on the message from the owner which gave me the idea this ipod might of been stolen if i took it in to a apple store how much would they charge me to restore everything like if it was brand new fresh out of the apple store

iPod touch, iOS 7, not sure if ios7 or higher

Posted on Mar 23, 2014 12:02 AM

4 replies

Mar 23, 2014 12:47 AM in response to ricardo127

They won't touch it, and they might call the cops for you since you have received stolen property 😝

You are experiencing Activation Lock. If the previous owner will not remove the device from their account there is nothing you can do unless the place you purchased it from will give you a refund.

Activation Lock: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1766

What if I purchase a device that is still linked to the previous owner's account?

Contact the previous owner as soon as possible and ask them to erase the device and remove it from their account. For complete instructions, read how to remove a device from a previous owner's account.

How do I check for Activation Lock before purchasing a used device?

When purchasing an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from someone other than Apple or an authorized Apple reseller, it is up to you to ensure that the device has been erased and is no longer linked to the previous owner’s account.

Follow each of these steps to make sure that you can use the device you purchase:

1. Turn the device on and slide to unlock.
  2. If the passcode lock screen or the home screen appears, the device has not been erased. Ask the seller to completely erase the device by going to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings. Do not take ownership of any used iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch until it has been erased.

3. Begin the device setup process.
  4. After choosing a language, choosing a country, and connecting to a network, the device will begin activation. If you are asked for the previous owner’s Apple ID and password, the device is still linked to their account. Hand the device back to the seller and ask them to enter their password. If the previous owner is not present, they can remove the device from their account by signing in to icloud.com/find. Do not take ownership of any used iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch until it has been removed from the previous owner’s account.

You will know that a device is ready for you to use when you are asked to “Set up your iPhone", “Set up your iPad", or “Set up your iPod” during the device setup process.

Jul 12, 2014 4:45 PM in response to Jay-Ray

why is it a brick ? I am in a similar situation but under iTunes app , email and others , I can change those apple id and password to mine and download apps and such. Can the previous owner get my info from icloud or wherever since it is still registered as his device ? is it not safe ? just not sure why people say it is a brick ?

i bought a Ipod 5th generation second hand and i got scammed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.