Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

icloud lock

My problem is next : i have bought second hand iphone 4 with box (so i don't think that iphone is stolen) he said that iphone was running properly before he had done downgrade after that icloud locked his phone and itunes ( now ) requires to activate iphone and someone's apple id on which was iphone setuped first time ( i think he lies me, i think he bought from ebay or etc. icloud blocked iphone) and shows first letter and @yahoo.com (m*****@yahoo.com) he didn't know this full email or password (because i think he bought from ebay or etc icloud locked and it was setuped on someone's apple id). itunes requeres activation BUT when i reset all contents and settings iphone only switch off and i have erased iphone, problem is that iphone didn't require set up from iphone, it switchs on simply without set up region, language and etc ( i didn't understand why) can you tell my why ? my iphone 4 is gsm and was blocked with AT&T carrier (before i bought) and prewious owner (or first idon't know) factory unlocked iphone and when i check iphone with imei (when i do imei check) it's written unlocked BUT find my iphone is on (when i can turn on or off by iphone find my iphone) but i think into system find my iphone is turned on.

i have all this questions :

1. why no service ?

2. why i can't update ios ?

3. why i can't set up iphone from iphone ?

4. could i search anywhere prewious (first) owner's mail on whitch was setuped iphone first time ?

5. will downgrade help me with this problem (downgrade from ios 7.0.6 to 4, because ios 4 haven't icloud)

6. how can i turn find my iphone from system (to imei check write me that find my iphone is turned off) ?

7. where coul i see full e-mail of previous owner ? to contact with him

i will be very surprised and pleasured if someone help me. thanks and sorry for mistakes in language. thanks

iPhone 4, iOS 7.0.3, 32 gb

Posted on Mar 23, 2014 1:10 AM

2 replies

Mar 23, 2014 1:20 AM in response to Community User

Unfortunately, this is now the risk that you run when buying second hand phones when you don't know where they have come from and activation lock is doing is job exactly how it was meant to.

Downgrading the phone will not help you because YOU CAN'T DOWNGRADE - it is impossible to do and not supported by Apple.

Unfortunately, if you don't know this e-mail address there is absolutely nothing that you can do.

Return the phone to the seller that you purchased it from and get a full refund and then go out and buy an iPhone from a legitimate source. The phone that you bough it probably stollen, so return it for a refund and start again. You will never be able to use this phone if you don't and will be stuck with a useless brick.

There is nothing more to do and you will most likely never be able to use this phone.

icloud lock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.